Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2016, 09:20:22 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 18, 2016, 09:16:21 PM
The Trump presidency will be the most triggered administration of all time. OF ALL TIME

Sure, it's all fun and games until you have come in to work one day, and your statistical compilation and analysis is limited to .ru sites.  Have fun editing all that data, Winston.

Word is everyone should be learning Russian, tovarisch.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 18, 2016, 09:58:54 PM
Word is everyone should be learning Russian, tovarisch.

It's going to take forever to grow a facial wart.

FunkMonk

Fortunately I already have a couple track suits.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

LOL, Freedom Caucus founder Mick Mulvaney from South Carolina picked for the Office of Management and Budget.

For those of you that don't remember, he's the guy that said Obama was lying about the the dangers of default if the GOP shut down the government.  And now he's going to be OMB.  Yeah.

Tamas

In all seriousness, these nominations/appointments show one thing: Trump does not care abi To the efficiency of the state one bit. He is just picking whoever was the biggest contrarian on the particular feed, because that is the safest bet for keeping his political supporters happy without actually having to, you know, work and read up on people.

CountDeMoney

Do you want to destroy the federal government?  Because this is how you destroy the federal government.

DGuller

It seems like the significant minority of American voters are like mice who have been infected with toxoplasmosis;  they're permanently rewired to act in ways that facilitate their demise.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2016, 03:30:14 PM
I'm just wondering where the potential markers are from you moving from "giving him a chance" - which is a legit position to hold even if I find it hard to do myself - to "this is too far." I think it's worthwhile to look at that kind of thing before the to and fro of daily partisan argument starts with his actual administration.

I'll let you know when it happens.  But chances are I'll take it issue by issue.  I expect to support some of his policies and oppose others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 10:23:42 AM
I'll let you know when it happens.  But chances are I'll take it issue by issue.  I expect to support some of his policies and oppose others.

That's not what he asked you.  He asked you what would be beyond the Pale.

LaCroix

stacking SCOTUS would be p big

anything humanitarian or environmental, nah
some amendment, probably ya
anything related to his personal interests, like divestiture, probably nah
canceling (without replacing) major alliances, NAFTA, ya
canceling (without replacing or grandfather clause-ing) healthcare, IBR-like programs, ya

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 02:45:57 PM
I actually think the economy may improve under Trump. 

I know you don't like your words to be dissected, but this is a factual prediction.
It doesn't see likely to happen for the simple reason that the economy is already doing about as well as it possible could.  GDP growth has been solid to excellent since early 2014 and was on the upswing last couple of quarters.  Unemployment is about as low as it will go cyclically, and it looks like median personal incomes will rise significantly for the second year in a row after a couple of decades of stagnation.

There just doesn't seem room for improvement without "new paradigm" thinking that says we can break out to a permanent 4% growth rate.  Count me skeptical.  If deregulation occurs it may confer some micro-economic benefits but nothing likely to impact the immediate macro picture.  Any attempt to stimulate fiscally will give rise to monetary offset by the Fed, indeed this is already happening.

The worry is that if Trump believes his own hype and feels the need to "do better" than Obama he will get into a political war with the Fed and undermine that institution as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Watch it Minsky. I am pretty sure our country is about to collapse into a pile of rubble. Or so the Conservatives have said for the past eight years and the Liberals have said for the past six weeks.

DOOOOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Get out while you still can.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."