News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah so much for that loyal opposition stuff. At least everybody is mostly doing things legally at this point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Watching his rally in Hershey right now:

I actually rolled it back, so I could transcribe the shit he actually just said--

"So we're going to get more equipment for our military, and we're going to get better equipment for our military at a smaller price, does that make sense? OK, believe me.  We're also going to stop trying to build new nations in far off lands, may areas of--and you've never even heard of these places--OK?  We're going to stop.  We're going to be so strong, we're going to be so respected, we're going to be so powerful, we're not respected now, and believe me, it's going to turn.  We're going to have this great, incredible, powerful military...but you know what? I don't think we're ever going to have to use it.  And that would be very, very nice, wouldn't it?  Because America First, it would be very, very nice."

That was all verbatim.  His brain is like wallpaper, it's all over the place.

Admiral Yi

General Dynamics and Raytheon are going to get stiffed bigly.

Oexmelin

Circulating on FB, there is a person (persons?) which posts whatever political nonsense is being said as if they were poems. It is one of the most wonderful ways to stop and pause and think about the words of the political, and their particular prosody.

From the Hershey rally (thanks CDM)

So we're going to get more equipment for our military,
and we're going to get better equipment for our military
at a smaller price
does that make sense?
OK
believe me.
We're also going to stop
trying to build new nations
in far off lands,
may areas of--
and you've never even heard of these places--
OK?
We're going to stop.
We're going to be so strong,
we're going to be so respected,
we're going to be so powerful,
we're not respected now, and
believe me,
it's going to turn.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

At least Republicans have unmasked themselves now.  They're not a legitimate political force inside the democratic system, they're an authoritarian movement hijacking the democratic system.

I think they realized that enough voters really care about Jim Crow II much more than they care about anything else, and that dog whistles are a nice to have but not a necessity.  Sure, the voters may believe in some truly stupid facts or employ some really stupid reasoning when explaining their voting decision, but get through to them and convince them their facts and reasoning are stupid, and they'll just find some other stupid facts or reasoning.  It's not about a bad decision coming from bad facts, it's about bad facts rationalizing evil decision.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2016, 07:58:49 PM
Circulating on FB, there is a person (persons?) which posts whatever political nonsense is being said as if they were poems. It is one of the most wonderful ways to stop and pause and think about the words of the political, and their particular prosody.

That's just, like, beautiful, man.

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on December 15, 2016, 01:14:01 PM
I'm starting to see crap about how the MSM is lying about what is happening in Syria and that Putin/Assad are right that everybody else in Syria is terrorists.

Noticed Skip is starting to traffic in that stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2016, 07:42:37 PM
Watching his rally in Hershey right now:

I actually rolled it back, so I could transcribe the shit he actually just said--

"So we're going to get more equipment for our military, and we're going to get better equipment for our military at a smaller price, does that make sense? OK, believe me.  We're also going to stop trying to build new nations in far off lands, may areas of--and you've never even heard of these places--OK?  We're going to stop.  We're going to be so strong, we're going to be so respected, we're going to be so powerful, we're not respected now, and believe me, it's going to turn.  We're going to have this great, incredible, powerful military...but you know what? I don't think we're ever going to have to use it.  And that would be very, very nice, wouldn't it?  Because America First, it would be very, very nice."

That was all verbatim.  His brain is like wallpaper, it's all over the place.

I liked the one speech when he was talking about having clean equipment. Okay.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2016, 08:00:44 PM
At least Republicans have unmasked themselves now.  They're not a legitimate political force inside the democratic system, they're an authoritarian movement hijacking the democratic system.

I think they realized that enough voters really care about Jim Crow II much more than they care about anything else, and that dog whistles are a nice to have but not a necessity.  Sure, the voters may believe in some truly stupid facts or employ some really stupid reasoning when explaining their voting decision, but get through to them and convince them their facts and reasoning are stupid, and they'll just find some other stupid facts or reasoning.  It's not about a bad decision coming from bad facts, it's about bad facts rationalizing evil decision.

Yeah man, you got it figured out, anyone right-of-center is just a giant nigger hatin' Nazi salivating over the thought of lynching our way to heaven come 1/20/2017.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 15, 2016, 08:20:16 PM
Yeah man, you got it figured out, anyone right-of-center is just a giant nigger hatin' Nazi salivating over the thought of lynching our way to heaven come 1/20/2017.

You forgot to mention the free market.  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 15, 2016, 08:20:16 PM

I didn't quite put it that way, and I didn't say that everyone is motivated by that.  But it does take some seriously strong emotion to make people embrace the leader of a hostile foreign power over the interests of their own country.  I don't think that desire for small government is what drivers that kind of passion for the majority of GOP voters.

Valmy

I don't know about all that. But the legacy of the 'Party of No' seems to be weakening the foundations of our nation. So far nobody seems to be taking things too far, they are just chipping away at the traditions that surround the structure.

The Republicans are pulling this stuff in North Carolina and elsewhere with jerrymandering, voter suppression, and now rewriting Constitutions. So will the other team follow suit? There is some kind of movement to convince the EC voters to go rogue and block Trump, I don't think it directly involves any elected officials or anything so it is not on the same level but still that would be a crazy, unprecedented, and destabilizing thing to happen. At least it might gain some Republican support for doing away with the institution though :P

Now all this is perfectly legal but goes against tradition. Most of what makes our government work is everybody making a half hearted show of solidarity and going through the motions of being a loyal opposition after an election. The knives are only supposed to come out at some point later. Obama showed expected restraint during the election, everybody expects the President to not mobilize his full power to influence the election in some way. But what if the next guy doesn't? What if the North Carolina thing, lame ducks re-arranging things before the next guys come in, becomes the norm? Then we enter third world territory. Then the party that wins makes it so they don't lose for awhile by using the mechanisms of government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2016, 07:17:25 PM
I skimmed an Atlantic article on this NC special session, and it seems that this particular Slate! article is not overly Huffed up.

For the most part, it seems fairly accurate, though the editorial basis in the summary is pretty obvious.  The thing is, a lot of these changes are actually good ideas IMO (for example, the election boards ought to be split 50/50), but the timing is quite obviously motivated by partisanship.

Razgovory

I suspect the previous conditions will be restored after the inconvenient Democrat is gone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017