News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2016, 01:10:23 PMLook at the situation the guy is in. He's president-elect. For his whole life he's been able to act on his own judgment and then suddenly the whole Washington influence armada is swarming all over him. It's no surprise he'd want to keep a few people from his past life that he knows are actually trustworthy and loyal to him and not K Street. I would do that in every meeting just to make sure the real people in the room aren't outnumbered by the lobbyists.

It's perfectly understandable, of course, but that doesn't make Minsky's description of the situation any less accurate.

His children are lobbyists too - the only difference is they will be lobbying for things that benefit the family interests.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2016, 01:19:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2016, 01:10:23 PM
I would do that in every meeting just to make sure the real people in the room aren't outnumbered by the lobbyists.

Except that in his case the "real people" are other real estate magnates (LeFrak and others), private equity titans (Poulsen), greenmailers (Icahn), vulture investors (Ross) etc.  This isn't like the Charles Grodin character in "Dave."  These are guys with big interests of their own, who lobby in their own right.

Trump has always had a need to surround himself with, and subsequently impress, the wealthiest of the wealthy.  To prove not just to them, but to himself, that he belongs.  Been that way since the 80s.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 01:17:34 PM
many of these were before he was elected. I don't think he really thought he'd win the presidency, so his empire was really his main concern. he's now won, and until concrete evidence surfaces that his main purpose is to grow his empire rather than to lead the country, it's speculation and assumptions. some are willing to damn him before he begins, but I'm waiting awhile until we see more. and, if he is/does what you say he is/will do, then it'll be very clear fairly early on what he's doing. and the public will damn him for that

What difference does it make? It is not like we are voting again for him each day. Just because somebody might damn him today does not mean they cannot approve tomorrow when he does something else.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2016, 01:26:38 PM
many of these were before he was elected. I don't think he really thought he'd win the presidency, so his empire was really his main concern. he's now won, and until concrete evidence surfaces that his main purpose is to grow his empire rather than to lead the country, it's speculation and assumptions. some are willing to damn him before he begins, but I'm waiting awhile until we see more. and, if he is/does what you say he is/will do, then it'll be very clear fairly early on what he's doing. and the public will damn him for that

What difference does it make? It is not like we are voting again for him each day. Just because somebody might damn him today does not mean they cannot approve tomorrow when he does something else.

Of course, I also like the notion that we're supposed to just disregard all the things that a 70 year old man has done in his past like he'll suddenly be a different person...

I can't wait for the pivot!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2016, 01:26:38 PM

an allegation was made that, at this point, lacked sufficient evidence from what I can tell. I don't think JR was making a prediction, which would be fair; I read his post as him saying it's happening now, which the evidence just doesn't yet support.

LaCroix

Quote from: GarbonOf course, I also like the notion that we're supposed to just disregard all the things that a 70 year old man has done in his past like he'll suddenly be a different person...

I can't wait for the pivot!

no need to disregard it. but using it to declare his current intentions, holding this alleged intention out as a concrete fact, isn't right either

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2016, 10:42:05 AM
In answer to the OP question it's starting to come into focus.  We've elected a king.

Yeah, a Targaryen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Sure, she's my favorite character.  Maybe Ivanka will turn out to be the Mother of Dragons. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2016, 04:56:53 PM
Sure, she's my favorite character.  Maybe Ivanka will turn out to be the Mother of Dragons. :P

I got no beef with Ivanka. Well maybe an excessive amount of familial piety. When your family member is a dog, you call that shit out.

MadImmortalMan

I'd be loyal as hell if I were a Trump. That guy will destroy your life if you cross him. And then call you a loser.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2016, 05:13:53 PM
I'd be loyal as hell if I were a Trump. That guy will destroy your life if you cross him. And then call you a loser.  :P

Sometimes you just gotta take out the king.

MadImmortalMan

Oh here's an idea. Trump is so driven that when Obama made fun of him for not being the president, he ran for president and won. I think we should make fun of Trump for not being the first man to quit before taking office.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2016, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2016, 04:56:53 PM

I got no beef with Ivanka. Well maybe an excessive amount of familial piety. When your family member is a dog, you call that shit out.

She may wind up being the one with any sense in that place

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 12:10:18 PM

personally, I think trump more wants to do a good job as president than to line his pockets. plus, he probably knows that if he does well, his presidential success will lead to greater rewards for his dynasty down the line.

I'm sure he believes he can do both. I see no reason why we should humor that belief.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point