News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

If we manage to avoid a nuclear holocaust by some great miracle, these next 4 years will be just hilarious.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2016, 02:20:25 AM
If we manage to avoid a nuclear holocaust by some great miracle, these next 4 years will be just hilarious.  :lol:

Ah the vaunted Hungarian sense of humor. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

And you were afraid the Green Job gravy train would dry up on January 21st. Well fear not Spicey!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Maybe I've been posting here too long, but when I saw this headline on CNN:

Reich to Trump: Stop acting vindictive

I immediately thought that the far right in Europe had made even more gains than I was led to believe.  Also this Reich is different from the last; it's a kinder, gentler, oppressive totalitarian state.   :)

(It turns out they meant Robert Reich, not the Fourth Reich.  Which is worse?  I'll leave that up to you.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2016, 02:11:22 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/07/trump-scott-pruitt-environmental-protection-agency

"We're very accustomed to the naysayers and the critics," said Trump aide Kellyanne Conway.

OK Spiro.  The nattering nabobs hear you.
Try doing that which is not stupid and perhaps there will be fewer saying nay.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

In answer to the OP question it's starting to come into focus.  We've elected a king.

Every President has their kitchen cabinet but Trump takes it to the next level.  He has what can only be described as a court.  Milling around him at the throne room high in Trump Tower (or in his winter palace at Mar-a-lago) is a motley collection of high officials, ambitious office seekers, informal advisers, cronies, has-been politicians, and curious celebrities, all jockeying for the ear of the monarch, for access and for royal favor.  In the inner circle of course is the royal family itself: sons, daughters, children-in-law, and those who want to get to the king are well-advised to curry favor there first.  Would-be office holders are not vetted confidentiality and formally according to the traditions and standard procedures of our constitutional republic.  Rather they most present themselves publically to the court, to be paraded for the courtiers to admire or slander, as they desperately try to navigate through the intrigues and infighting of the royal entourage.  Sometimes men of great reputation receive office, to burnish the reputation of the king as a man who seeks wise counsel.  Other times, the great are humbled for the amusement of the masses, and other lesser sorts are given office.  Every court needs its jesters.

The king himself avoids sullying his royal person with mundane aspects of constitutional governance.  That is the kind of dangerous muck for courtiers to handle, so that he can always be able to blame any unpopular outcome on treacherous advisers.  Instead our monarch-elect conducts grand processions through the country where the simple people can come to do him homage and he may condescend to thank them.  In his spare time, he selects some unpopular merchant to intimidate (or collude with) so that he can present himself as the beneficient protector of his subjects.  On foreign matters, he says little of policy - instead preferring personal contacts with foreign potentates, typically in the company of his children.  Dynastic considerations trump national concerns.

On the great matters of the day, the king either says nothing or says something for everyone.  He is for the repeal of Obamacare, but also wants to preserve every part of it.  He is against the Iran treaty but perhaps will abide by it.  He will deport millions unless he won't.  He will or will not scrap the Paris agreement.  He is for "fair trade" which is not free trade except when it is.  Those who care about such things no longer bother to analyze his words.  They instead join the scrum of courtiers surrounding the king, seeking an opportunity to whisper in his ear, or to guess which court faction will prevail in imposing its will on the royal government.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

QuoteDynastic considerations trump national concerns.

what's the evidence of this? the children's involvement or is there more?

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2016, 10:42:05 AM
In answer to the OP question it's starting to come into focus.  We've elected a king.

Every President has their kitchen cabinet but Trump takes it to the next level.  He has what can only be described as a court.  Milling around him at the throne room high in Trump Tower (or in his winter palace at Mar-a-lago) is a motley collection of high officials, ambitious office seekers, informal advisers, cronies, has-been politicians, and curious celebrities, all jockeying for the ear of the monarch, for access and for royal favor.  In the inner circle of course is the royal family itself: sons, daughters, children-in-law, and those who want to get to the king are well-advised to curry favor there first.  Would-be office holders are not vetted confidentiality and formally according to the traditions and standard procedures of our constitutional republic.  Rather they most present themselves publically to the court, to be paraded for the courtiers to admire or slander, as they desperately try to navigate through the intrigues and infighting of the royal entourage.  Sometimes men of great reputation receive office, to burnish the reputation of the king as a man who seeks wise counsel.  Other times, the great are humbled for the amusement of the masses, and other lesser sorts are given office.  Every court needs its jesters.

The king himself avoids sullying his royal person with mundane aspects of constitutional governance.  That is the kind of dangerous muck for courtiers to handle, so that he can always be able to blame any unpopular outcome on treacherous advisers.  Instead our monarch-elect conducts grand processions through the country where the simple people can come to do him homage and he may condescend to thank them.  In his spare time, he selects some unpopular merchant to intimidate (or collude with) so that he can present himself as the beneficient protector of his subjects.  On foreign matters, he says little of policy - instead preferring personal contacts with foreign potentates, typically in the company of his children.  Dynastic considerations trump national concerns.

On the great matters of the day, the king either says nothing or says something for everyone.  He is for the repeal of Obamacare, but also wants to preserve every part of it.  He is against the Iran treaty but perhaps will abide by it.  He will deport millions unless he won't.  He will or will not scrap the Paris agreement.  He is for "fair trade" which is not free trade except when it is.  Those who care about such things no longer bother to analyze his words.  They instead join the scrum of courtiers surrounding the king, seeking an opportunity to whisper in his ear, or to guess which court faction will prevail in imposing its will on the royal government.

Thanks for the interesting viewpoint JR.

Another one I found engaging was the parallel with 'Bill the Butcher' character from 'Gangs of New York' that Martin Scorsese suggested when pushed to describe Trump in a recent UK interview.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 10:59:03 AM
what's the evidence of this?

Trump meets with US biggest ally in Asia.  State Dept not informed, no diplomat or country expert present.  Instead Flynn, Ivanka, and Ivanka's husbund.   And Ivanka's principal qualification for attending is that she was closing a licensing deal in Japan at the time.

Do the math.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2016, 11:04:37 AM
Another one I found engaging was the parallel with 'Bill the Butcher' character from 'Gangs of New York' that Martin Scorsese suggested when pushed to describe Trump in a recent UK interview.

That's Marty for you, always talking up his back catalog.  :)
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

that's not evidence, that's an assumption based on some facts, and the assumption wouldn't pass preponderance. ivanka probably has more than one deal going on in more than one country, and she's by far the closest to trump of his children. she also seems pretty savvy. it made sense to bring her along