And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on December 05, 2016, 07:01:05 AM
So Trump is apparently serious about the 35% tariff?   :lol:

Is that a presidential prerogative? I can't see Congress passing that. It's so boneheaded.

No. Anything related to money needs Congressional approval.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

China will dump all the stuff they cannot sell in America on the European market. That is probably not good for our own industries.

celedhring

It would make the US industry extremely noncompetitive. Besides, it ignores the reality of manufacturing in the current world, with parts and components travelling all over borders, even if the final assembly is either in Detroit or Monterrey. It would wreak havoc in many US companies.

Tamas

Anyone who falls for the "no, it's not a painfully stupid spur of the moment idiocy, it is one piece of the puzzle of a magnificent secret master plan!" narrative will be officially disapproved as an intelligent person, by me.

Syt

Seeing a devious master plan in Trumps tweets/diplomatic overtures is like seeing Jesus's face on a slice of cheese toast.

If you squint and look from the right angle it may appear that it's there, but mostly it's just your brain trying to see a pattern where there's none.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2016, 07:47:51 AM
Seeing a devious master plan in Trumps tweets/diplomatic overtures is like seeing Jesus's face on a slice of cheese toast.

If you squint and look from the right angle it may appear that it's there, but mostly it's just your brain trying to see a pattern where there's none.

I like this analogy, and am stealing it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Fair.  When I coined the phrase "political pareidolia" Malthus stole it from me.  Though I should remind you that the last time you stole something they chained you to that rock and had that eagle go to town on your liver.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The one genuinely good thing about Trump in foreign policy is that he is credibly irrational.  That actually confers some negotiating advantages over adversaries.  That has disadvantages too, of course, but what is the point of fixating on that which is obvious and depressing?

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2016, 09:06:44 AM
The one genuinely good thing about Trump in foreign policy is that he is credibly irrational.  That actually confers some negotiating advantages over adversaries.  That has disadvantages too, of course, but what is the point of fixating on that which is obvious and depressing?

Doubly ironic that at the time of his Taiwan tweets, Kissinger was in China meeting the leadership there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:53:59 AM
Bullshit.  I don't think you have changed a bit since the start of November.

I've always been willing to give Obama credit where it's due.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2016, 09:41:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:53:59 AM
Bullshit.  I don't think you have changed a bit since the start of November.

You just think he's never due it. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2016, 09:41:41 AM

That boy shines dem shoes real nice.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2016, 11:55:34 PM
That's the genius of Trump's approach.  His style means that everyone can see in him what they want to see.  "He lies about most things, but he really means it when he talks about the issues I care about!"  "He's not crazy, he's crazy like a fox!"  "He may sound crazy, but he's a successful businessman, he'll hire smart people!"

To be fair, I had a spell of "he's crazy like a fox" thinking myself for some time during the GOP primaries.  But eventually I realized that no, he's just fucking crazy, but he happened to be just the right fucking crazy man at just the right time.  Problem is that there is no guarantee that the right time for his style will continue, but there is a pretty solid guarantee that he'll continue being the fucking crazy man.

Trumps reall skillset, that both made him a billionaire, won him the primaries, and won him the general are a PT Barnum style carnival barker's salesmanship ability. If you read about a lot of his business career, there's a ton of instances where he inexplicably convinces people who should've known better (big money investors and banks) to believe whatever he's pitching, sometimes his projects worked out and everyone made money, but sometimes they didn't. He's also savvy at legalized graft, but that's more of a learned behavior from his dad (the Trump family had long relied on close work with local government and government special treatment to get profits on its real estate projects.)

The bad thing about Trump is once you get past that, he's basically a guy of middling intelligence who doesn't know much about foreign or domestic policy, and some of his opinions are unchanged from the 1980s, and based on things which haven't factually been true since then.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 05, 2016, 07:02:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 05, 2016, 07:01:05 AM
So Trump is apparently serious about the 35% tariff?   :lol:

Is that a presidential prerogative? I can't see Congress passing that. It's so boneheaded.

No. Anything related to money needs Congressional approval.

Incorrect--don't spout off like this in the future lest you look the fool.

The President has broad powers, granted by statute, to levy tariffs. Bush used it to levy tariffs on steel, he argued American steelmakers were being victimized by dumping. He lost his case at the WTO and thus we were hit with retaliatory tariffs that cost us billions, but many think the steel tariffs he enacted for one year were at least part of what pushed Bush over the top in Ohio '04.