And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2016, 02:22:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 11:22:11 AM
Donald has spoken out more than once against the First Amendment. Here is hoping he is lying about that at least.
IIRC, it takes 2/3 of Congress (both houses?) and 2/3 of the States?  It might be doable for Republican States, but I don't think the Senate is 2/3 Republican?

How would he go about limiting the 1st amendment without a Constitutional amendment?  Place the good judges in the Supreme Court, then sue every major newspaper in the country and wait until their case reach the sympathetic judges of the Supreme Court?

Pass a law. Same way all the other amendments are eroded away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2016, 12:33:52 PM
Donald has spoken out more than once against the First Amendment. Here is hoping he is lying about that at least.

Bill Clinton was in favor of criminal penalties for flag burning, before the court ruled it had first amendment protection.

In 2005 The Flag Protection Act was proposed by a Utah republican senator with Hillary Clinton as co-sponsor. Flag burning has been determined to be free speech by the Supreme Court and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I don't know if Trump was being serious or just mouthing off as many others do but I doubt the idea of it being free speech will be changed.

CountDeMoney

Even it was an illegal act, everyone's forgetting that you still can't strip someone of their citizenship due to criminal conviction.

But, that's the King of the Dumbfuckistanis for you.  You know, the moron voters we can't call morons.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2016, 03:40:56 PM
Even it was an illegal act, everyone's forgetting that you still can't strip someone of their citizenship due to criminal conviction.

But, that's the King of the Dumbfuckistanis for you.  You know, the moron voters we can't call morons.

Can't you strip naturalized citizens of citizenship - at least theoretically?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 03:42:15 PM

Can't you strip naturalized citizens of citizenship - at least theoretically?

If you lied about getting it in the first place, probably.  But no, no matter how much people wish and hope, we don't have separate classes of citizenship.

garbon

Actually, I think at this point we can call them whatever we feel like.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 03:05:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:00:12 PM

Bill Clinton was in favor of criminal penalties for flag burning, before the court ruled it had first amendment protection.

What?  As governor?

Yeah I lack as thorough a knowledge as Dorsey does about Bill Clinton's thoughts on things during the 1980s.

I just remember that after the USSC ruled it was protected, Bill Clinton then opposed a constitutional amendment to ban it (after being in favor of ordinary laws). I was a kid at the time, and for some reason that stuck with me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

McConnell's wife picked as Transportation Sec.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 06:15:04 PM
McConnell notably came out and denounced Trump's statement on Flag burning.

In other Trump news...ugh.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/11/29/trump_picks_tom_price_as_health_and_human_services_secretary_uh_oh.html
QuoteDonald Trump's transition team announced on Tuesday morning that the president-elect has selected Georgia Rep. Tom Price as secretary of health and human services. The move sends at least two very loud messages. First, the incoming White House is dead serious about scrapping the Affordable Care Act. Second, it may well be open to ending Medicare as we know it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 06:15:04 PM

Was her husband attractive when she married him?

DGuller

It's one of those things where politics really break down, and we have to rely on Supreme Court to save the day.  Few politicians would take a stand against "Saving the Children Against Awful Molesting Predators Act", and given how dumb the voters proved themselves to be, who could blame them?

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 29, 2016, 06:59:58 PM
QuoteDonald Trump's transition team announced on Tuesday morning that the president-elect has selected Georgia Rep. Tom Price as secretary of health and human services. The move sends at least two very loud messages. First, the incoming White House is dead serious about scrapping the Affordable Care Act. Second, it may well be open to ending Medicare as we know it.

Wait Medicare? Not Medicaid?

Uh oh. I hope my parents and in-laws have good insurance. That will probably stick a fork in the middle class. Or launch the great Boomer Genocide of '17.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 08:37:24 PM

Uh oh. I hope my parents and in-laws have good insurance. That will probably stick a fork in the middle class. Or launch the great Boomer Genocide of '17.

I'm really hoping this is just Timmy being alarmist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 08:37:24 PM

Well, all we can hope for is that the backlash to that causing a Berniecrat to win in 2020 and institute single payer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Carrier Corp. Agrees to Keep About 1,000 Jobs at Indiana Plant

Carrier switches plan to shift some jobs to Mexico after lobbying by incoming Trump administration

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/trump-to-announce-carrier-plant-will-keep-jobs-in-us.html