And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2016, 04:55:04 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 25, 2016, 04:52:49 PM
they just want something better than what they got.

The highest standard of living any nation in the history of the world has ever seen, in a sub-5% unemployment economy?

That's what other people got.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

They could practice programming and IT skills and get a decent job.
Or they could stay at home, collect unemployment while raging against welfare queens, vote Trump then OD on heroin.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PJL

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 25, 2016, 05:48:26 PM
A lot of Trump voters believe in magic, too, it seems

Well I'd call it religion, but same thing really.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 25, 2016, 06:41:47 PM

Someone posted an article a while back that mentioned per capita income in Alabama being higher than some relatively prosperous European country like Germany.

White working class is not all meth and Oxy heads fucking their daughters outside the shuttered coal mine.  They're truck drivers, construction workers, heavy equipment operators, folks making decent if not Wall Street money.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2016, 07:30:09 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 25, 2016, 06:41:47 PM

Someone posted an article a while back that mentioned per capita income in Alabama being higher than some relatively prosperous European country like Germany.

White working class is not all meth and Oxy heads fucking their daughters outside the shuttered coal mine.  They're truck drivers, construction workers, heavy equipment operators, folks making decent if not Wall Street money.

Shush you, how are people suppose to demonise them, what with facts and shit getting in the way?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2016, 08:18:05 PM
Shush you, how are people suppose to demonise them, what with facts and shit getting in the way?

I believe the post I was responding to, and the general tenor of public discourse since Trump Day, has been the opposite of demonization.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on November 25, 2016, 05:11:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 25, 2016, 04:10:46 PM
it was always about that apparent political correctness being imposed on everyone.  Forced to accepts womens, gays and now transgendered as equals, that was the tipping point.

And I also agree with Jacob follow up really about the situaton.  America is fucked, there is no coming back.

Hysterics

It's viper; of course it is hysterical (in both senses).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2016, 07:30:09 PM
I could only find numbers for nominal GDP/capita and Alabama is indeed slightly higher than Germany.

QuoteThey're truck drivers, construction workers, heavy equipment operators, folks making decent if not Wall Street money.
Alabama's Gini coefficient is way higher than in Germany's, so working class Germans might have higher incomes than Alabamans.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on November 26, 2016, 01:31:22 AM
Alabama's Gini coefficient is way higher than in Germany's, so working class Germans might have higher incomes than Alabamans.

Or rich Germans aren't really very rich.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2016, 02:53:54 AM
Quote from: Zanza on November 26, 2016, 01:31:22 AM

Or rich Germans aren't really very rich.
Not "or" but "and". That's what the Gini coefficient tells us. The income inequality isn't nearly as pronounced in Germany as it is in Alabama. That means the rich have a smaller share of the total income and the poor have a larger share of it in Germany than in Alabama. Total income is about the same. So as a poor person it's better to be in Germany, as a rich person it's better to be in Alabama.

Richard Hakluyt

Once we get past subsistence I think many people are often far more interested in how well they are doing compared to others than in their absolute level of income. The media are full of the tales of how the mega-rich entertain and disport themselves. All of these tales can be easily accessed by the typical "poor" westerner on his phone or computer. Invidious comparisons are made and suddenly a $50k wage seems grossly inadequate.

The Brain

I routinely compare myself to Alabamians.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.