What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 01, 2017, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:28:00 PMSo full Bernie Sanders. Just like I said.

you don't exactly have to go full bernie to make the election all about the economy

Well they cannot exactly go economic nationalism or free trade neo-liberalism.

So if they are going to go hard after policies that are going to help the common working man what do you propose? Because ones designed to grow and strengthen the economy just got brutally denounced by Otto, and yourself, as things to avoid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 01, 2017, 04:31:30 PM
the full weight of the screams shouting "misogyny" did crush pollsters around the country

Ok look you think feminists suck. How refreshing.

But that is not a political strategy. That is a demographic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Still, the economy was always the biggest issue voters cited.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:35:24 PMOk look you think feminists suck. How refreshing.

you have a tendency to take posts literally

LaCroix

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 01, 2017, 04:36:51 PM
Still, the economy was always the biggest issue voters cited.

yup, and I remember during the debates, people thought trump consistently did better than hillary on the subject of trade

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:28:00 PM
(though, I will repeat this again, the 'Economy Stupid' guy got them obliterated in 1994 and they have never recovered)

Couda sworn the party of the mysterious 'Economy Stupid' guy had 60 senate seats and 257 House seats after the 2008 election.  If that's "never recovered" to you, your standards are way, way too high.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

the full weight of the screams shouting "misogyny" did crush pollsters around the country

:huh:  The screams were shouting?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: PJL on February 01, 2017, 04:26:50 PM
I think the message for the Democrats to campaign on next time is pretty clear; it's the economy, stupid. Forget the issue politics.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:35:24 PM

I think that assuming that "screams" refer to feminists is a bit much, no?

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Agree.  The feminazis don't scream, they screech.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:35:24 PM

But that is not a political strategy. That is a demographic.

Using racial or misogynistic slurs are the simple, easy way to get under a person's skin, and this election was all about getting under people's skins. The Republican white males lapped it up, and went into it overtime making sure that everyone knew how shitty minorities and women were. I don't think it was so much because they actually cared about any of it, but because it really, really bothered the Democratic "libtards".

It doesn't really matter who it is... even Bernie Sanders would have been raked over the coals with intensely personal insults. This is the American political world anymore. I mean, there were always attacks, but the public has taken it to new heights, I think. That's not going to change because someone else is in the hot seat.Only the slurs will change, not the tone.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
QuoteDemocrats care more about whether a Latino woman is suffering "microaggressions" and which bathroom a tranny can use than they did whether a lower income white man can get a good paying job.

The people passing the tranny laws were Republicans in North Carolina. "Microaggressions" is a non-issue outside of college campuses. I see no evidence Democratic politicians are concerning themselves with these kinds of things.

That's the narrative. Safe space, microaggresions, triggers, gender issues. All of the stuff that GOPtards hear in their echo-chamber and has no basis in reality. Did Hillary Clinton campaign on these topics or even mentioned them at all during her campaign?

Nope.

Did the Democrats campaign on these topics or even mentioned them at all in 2014 midterms?

Nope.

But yeah, sure, the Democrats over the last decade became the party of bla bla bla safe space instead of bla bla bla rustbelt white guys economic bla bla bla. Whatever makes you feel shrewd and smart, guys.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
QuoteDemocrats care more about whether a Latino woman is suffering "microaggressions" and which bathroom a tranny can use than they did whether a lower income white man can get a good paying job.

The people passing the tranny laws were Republicans in North Carolina. "Microaggressions" is a non-issue outside of college campuses. I see no evidence Democratic politicians are concerning themselves with these kinds of things.

FWIW, on reflection, I'm not totally convinced that identity issues are a non-winner politically.  The Democrats in NC turned the governor's race largely into a referendum on tranny issues, and won the governorship.

And yet, Hillary still lost the state.  Maybe the problem was just that she was a terrible candidate.

citizen k

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 06:36:55 PM
And yet, Hillary still lost the state.  Maybe the problem was just that she was a terrible candidate.

Don't be silly, it was the Russians.  :tinfoil:

merithyn

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 06:36:55 PM
FWIW, on reflection, I'm not totally convinced that identity issues are a non-winner politically.  The Democrats in NC turned the governor's race largely into a referendum on tranny issues, and won the governorship.

Or people bought a 30-year hatchet job on her.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...