What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2019, 04:19:36 PM
This administration has such a great track record on child detention, what possible harm could occur?

What does that have to do with claiming that they're going to do away with birthright citizenship?

They are not equitable. One is a legit concern per your post. The other is obviously so far outside reality as to be laughable. I'm talking about the latter when I say, why are you guys treating that as something to refute or argue?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2019, 04:21:49 PM
What does that have to do with claiming that they're going to do away with birthright citizenship?

They are not equitable. One is a legit concern per your post. The other is obviously so far outside reality as to be laughable. I'm talking about the latter when I say, why are you guys treating that as something to refute or argue?

Easy I'm still talking about Flores  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2019, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2019, 04:21:49 PM

Easy I'm still talking about Flores  :)

:lol:

Okay. Well, you've won that part of the argument. I concede. :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Look if there is something you guys don't want me to discuss just don't post it here and I won't -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
Look if there is something you guys don't want me to discuss just don't post it here and I won't -_-

:P

You understood my point. I'm just amazed at the headlines across multiple news agencies over Trump claiming to want to end birthright citizenship. Why? To what end? How is it not completely mocked by everyone?

FunkMonk

Donald had an incredible meltdown in front of reporters today and the media are all over it.

Thank God it's Friday.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

The problem is:

Either the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing. Or they ought to be nothing. In which case, you want a strong, high-profile Congress, who is able to frame those declaration in a relevant political context - i.e., able to say, pay no attention to the ramblings of the crazy old man. We all know we run this country, as it should be. 

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States carry considerable meaning, by virtue of being uttered by the President of the United States. In which case, they are incredibly important, and carry remarkable strength in remaking the political makeup of the country. The fact that they are crazy ramblings is important, not because of their content, but because they are crazy ramblings.

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing, and Congress means nothing. Which means that power is being exercised elsewhere, at a place that remains unidentified, by men and women who remain unaccountable.

Since politics is about ascribing responsibility, none of these options are especially encouraging about the state of democracy.
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2019, 06:08:06 PM
The problem is:

Either the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing. Or they ought to be nothing. In which case, you want a strong, high-profile Congress, who is able to frame those declaration in a relevant political context - i.e., able to say, pay no attention to the ramblings of the crazy old man. We all know we run this country, as it should be. 

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States carry considerable meaning, by virtue of being uttered by the President of the United States. In which case, they are incredibly important, and carry remarkable strength in remaking the political makeup of the country. The fact that they are crazy ramblings is important, not because of their content, but because they are crazy ramblings.

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing, and Congress means nothing. Which means that power is being exercised elsewhere, at a place that remains unidentified, by men and women who remain unaccountable.

Since politics is about ascribing responsibility, none of these options are especially encouraging about the state of democracy.

Agreed. And horrifying. :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

Any other president would have been 25th'd over what he's said in the last two days.

He's reaching mad Caligula levels of ridiculous statements.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on August 21, 2019, 01:20:31 PM

Are you in favour of having Iceland annexed to the United States of Trump?
Yes! -
Absolutely! -
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2019, 02:30:33 PM
At what point does a prominent Republican stand up and call him out publicly on this stuff? I mean, besides The Mooch.  :rolleyes:
Ye of too much Faith...;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Job gains weaker than expected

Employers added a half-million fewer jobs in 2018 and early 2019 than previously reported, the Labor Department said Wednesday.
[...]

Did you guys see anything on Twitter about this??
:P

viper37

Migrant Families Would Face Indefinite Detention Under New Trump Rule

QuoteWASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Wednesday unveiled a regulation to allow it to indefinitely detain migrant families who illegally cross the border. The rule replaces a decades-old court agreement that mandates a level of care for migrant children and limits how long the government can hold them in custody.

For more than a year, the White House has pressed the Department of Homeland Security to find a way to eliminate the agreement, known as the Flores settlement, which limits the time children can spend in detention and establishes minimum standards for the holding facilities for families and children. Immigration hard-liners inside the administration say the move is crucial to halting the flow of migrants across the southwestern border.

Minsky was talking about that earlier today...

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2019, 08:30:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2019, 03:07:38 AM
What's the comparison? Israel is same to Jews as Pope is to catholics?

Eddie is a good example of how anti Semitic tropes have gone mainstream.  But Eddie amplified the idiocy and drew upon anti Papist tropes as well.

@DPS What is wrong with it is the underlying white nationalist trope that Jewish Americans’ first loyalty is not to the US which makes Jews less trustworthy.

I'm aware of that (though it's an anti-Semitic thing, more than a white nationalist thing as such) but I was trying to make a joke that it's a good thing if US Jews are more loyal to the US than to the state of Israel.