What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Define 'prominent'?

I suspect the answer is right after they catch him actually murdering someone though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

He's demonstrating his mad Risk skillz.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

And the latest he's throwing at the wall...

Trump says administration looking 'seriously' at ending birthright citizenship

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458276-trump-says-administration-looking-seriously-at-ending-birthright

President Trump on Wednesday said his administration is once again seriously considering an executive order to end birthright citizenship months after several lawmakers cast doubt on his ability to take such action.

"We're looking at that very seriously," Trump told reporters as he left the White House for Kentucky. "Birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land — walk over the border, have a baby, congratulations, the baby's now a U.S. citizen."

"We are looking at birthright citizenship very seriously," he added. "It's, frankly, ridiculous."

The president proposed ending the practice that grants citizenship to those born in the United States during his 2016 presidential campaign. He revived the idea last year, saying he would sign an executive order to enact the change.

Numerous lawmakers, including several Republicans, quickly pushed back on the idea and argued Trump lacked the authority to make such a change using an executive order. They cited that birthright citizenship is a right enshrined under the 14th Amendment.

Trump responded to the criticism by saying birthright citizenship would be ended "one way or another."

The president has sought various ways to crack down on illegal and legal immigration throughout his presidency.

His administration enacted and later reversed a "zero tolerance" policy that led to the separation of thousands of migrant families; Trump has sought changes to asylum laws to keep refugees in Mexico while they wait to be processed; and the White House last week rolled out a rule that would make it more difficult for some immigrants to obtain green cards.

The Trump administration announced earlier Wednesday it would unveil a new rule that would allow migrant families to be held indefinitely, ending a procedure known as the Flores Settlement Agreement that requires children to be held no longer than 20 days.

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2019, 02:38:15 PM
Yeah, no. No.

I knew one of you guys would do this.

Risk - to Trump - is a thinking person's game. Much like checkers and Sorry!

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Birthright citizenship is constitutional, can't change it without amending the constitution.
And while they are free to ditch the Flores settlement, that would render them liable on the claims made in the suit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Well good luck to doing a Constitutional Amendment in this political climate Mr. President, particularly a controversial one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2019, 03:18:00 PM
Birthright citizenship is constitutional, can't change it without amending the constitution.
And while they are free to ditch the Flores settlement, that would render them liable on the claims made in the suit.

You guys really have to stop acting like these are real initiatives of his. They're not.

We all know that it's constitutional. We all recognize the difficulty. And I think he does, too. He doesn't actually have any intention of even trying this. He's driving the headlines to get the economy and his poll numbers off the front page. This has been his MO since before he was elected.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2019, 12:10:12 PM
I learned that the US ambassador to Denmark starred in "Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carla_Sands

Sweet.  I remember that MST3K :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

On Flores the DHS Secretary announced a final rule.  https://www.dhs.gov/news/2019/08/21/dhs-and-hhs-announce-new-rule-implement-flores-settlement-agreement
It's a very real initiative, it is a regulation of the US government that acquires the force of law in 60 days unless withdrawn or enjoined.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2019, 03:46:46 PM
On Flores the DHS Secretary announced a final rule.  https://www.dhs.gov/news/2019/08/21/dhs-and-hhs-announce-new-rule-implement-flores-settlement-agreement
It's a very real initiative, it is a regulation of the US government that acquires the force of law in 60 days unless withdrawn or enjoined.

I don't doubt this one. I don't really understand it, but you're clearly right that it's an active initiative.

Not at all the same as Trump saying he wants to abolish birthright citizenship.

The Minsky Moment

This administration has such a great track record on child detention, what possible harm could occur?
--Joan Robinson