News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

It is easy for partisan historians to confuse the relationship between capitalism, industrialization, and environmental degradation.  They are, after all, trying to either exonerate or condemn capitalism and/or "the west" and hang all the blame for the modern world's problems, or deny all the blame for the modern world's problems, on western ideas.  History shows us how sterile such debates are.  Capitalism was not responsible for the severe degradation of the environment of the Soviet Union, nor industrialization for the environmental degradation common to pre-industrial societies. 

Over-exploitation of resources and degradation of the environment is a feature of human societies, not just industrial or capitalist or globalist ones.  Trying to demonize either "Westernism" as a whole or some specific elements of it in order to make political statements is foolish and short-sighted, as is giving "Westernism" as a whole or some specific elements of it a free pass because of other desirable features of the culture.

But most absurd is "whataboutism," where the response to "sectarian violence is high in the Arab world right now" is answered by "but whatabout World War 2, huh?"

As an aside, I have no problem with Islam, myself, and think the problems we are seeing in some Muslim countries are a factor of widespread belief in persecution, not a factor of islam per se.  Islam as a religion isn't without its flaws, of course, but neither is any other religion except, maybe, Sikhism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2018, 04:11:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 21, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Ethiopia clearly shows how countries would be better if they just hadn't been victims of colonialism (and yes they were briefly occupied in the 30s/40s just like many European countries).

What Ethiopia clearly shows is just how tightly, and densely, the world was interconnected by the 19th century.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Yeah, when I think of 19th century Ethiopia, the tightness and density of world's interconnectedness is not something that immediately comes to mind.  I'm not sure what Oex's point was there.

The Minsky Moment

Given sufficient time, pre-industrial people could do and did do quite a lot of ecological damage.  Industrialization does change the character and intensity of the environmental damage - I don't think that is a controversial statement.

Capitialism could be environmentally protective - it's all a matter of how you allocate those initial Coasian property rights.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2018, 10:09:37 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 22, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
Given sufficient time, pre-industrial people could do and did do quite a lot of ecological damage. 

Does this qualify? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period

Some of the Romans' mining practices were also highly destructive, some areas of NW Spain never recovered and were permanently transformed.

That's the Las Médulas area of León, it used to be an open air gold mine, which was exploited through the "Ruina Montum" technique (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruina_montium), which basically consisted in wrecking down entire mountains.

I think it was Mike Duncan in one of his podcasts (don't know if Revolutions or History of Rome) who mentioned the paralelisms between the Romans' exploitation of Hispania for its natural resources with what the Spaniards did in America afterwards.

Valmy

He has a mini-series just on the conquest and exploitation of Hispania. It is pretty great...and by that I mean the series not the conquest and exploitation.

I would presume other pre-industrial mining areas have similar issues? I guess I would need people who know something about Asian history to comment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2018, 10:16:56 AM

That's the Las Médulas area of León, it used to be an open air gold mine, which was exploited through the "Ruina Montum" technique (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruina_montium), which basically consisted in wrecking down entire mountains.

I think it was Mike Duncan in one of his podcasts (don't know if Revolutions or History of Rome) who mentioned the paralelisms between the Romans' exploitation of Hispania for its natural resources with what the Spaniards did in America afterwards.

There are parts of Bolivia that look like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on October 21, 2018, 11:47:12 PM
Yeah, when I think of 19th century Ethiopia, the tightness and density of world's interconnectedness is not something that immediately comes to mind.  I'm not sure what Oex's point was there.

Perhaps he should elaborate.  I'm not an expert on Ethiopian history, so take this FWIW, but I didn't think it was particularly strongly connected to the economies of the rest of the world in the 1800's, especially before 1868 or so.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2018, 10:26:01 AM
He has a mini-series just on the conquest and exploitation of Hispania. It is pretty great...and by that I mean the series not the conquest and exploitation.

I would presume other pre-industrial mining areas have similar issues?

Sure, one need only look at the large slag piles from copper refining near what is now the Jordanian border region dating back to the bronze age.

OttoVonBismarck

Man-made ecological problems certainly became more common and wider spread with the Western lead industrial revolution of the 19th century, which is being repeated as that same revolution spreads to the least industrialized countries in the present era.

Even with that, the West is still the best culture to develop in human history. Yes, we face serious environmental challenges. I'd rather face those challenges as modern man, with the benefit of modern industrial science, medical science, communications technology, electrification etc than live in Cro-Magnon era ecologically more "natural" environment with none of those things.

Progress has costs, environmental damage is one of the costs of the progress we've achieved, and it can absolutely be managed. Pointing to it to undermine the concept of Western culture being the best for humanity at least to this point in history, is asinine.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2018, 10:09:37 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 22, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
Given sufficient time, pre-industrial people could do and did do quite a lot of ecological damage. 

Does this qualify? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period

Yes I was actually thinking of the more general deforestation of the European continent, as it extended past the fall of Rome and into the Middle Ages.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson