What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: The Larch on October 11, 2018, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 11, 2018, 07:31:50 AM
Trump has tried to fire Kelly, but Kelly just ignores him.  :wacko:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tried-to-fire-john-kelly-but-kelly-ignored-him-report-says-2018-10

QuotePresident Donald Trump has reportedly attempted to fire White House chief of staff John Kelly, according to a bombshell interview with New York Magazine reporter Olivia Nuzzi.
That effort has failed because Trump typically uses the retired Marine general to oust people, and didn't know who else to ask.

Surreal. Is he such a chicken that he can't see whoever he's firing to the face when doing so? For somebody who made his public persona around the "You're fired!" catchphrase he seems to be really bad at actually firing people.

The article seems to suggest that he's actually told Kelly he's fired, but Kelly just ignores it and Trump forgets that he fired him.  Which, yeah, surreal is a good description for that.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2018, 08:00:40 AM
He's really bad at pretty much everything. I am quite convinced even his dodgy business deals were orhcestrated by his staff, and he has never been more than rich daddy's spoiled little brat.

You missed the NYT story.  His RE deals were his own but most of them failed and Dad had to bail him out.  The few successes were greased by Dad's political connections.

Where he admittedly has succeeded is as a media brand, he has earned decent income from putting his name on buildings that others own and from the whole "Apprentice" ecosystem.  His other success was navigating the bankruptcy system to his advantage and exploiting loopholes in the tax code, in both cases with the help of skilled counsel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

AFAICT the only thing Trump has done himself is keeping power in his own hands (largely by being too stupid to act predictably or rationally). A more laid back retard would have let his handlers run Dad's money without keeping any control in his own hands, but AFAIK Trump still needs to sign stuff that his handlers suggest he do with Dad's money.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2018, 10:47:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2018, 08:00:40 AM
He's really bad at pretty much everything. I am quite convinced even his dodgy business deals were orhcestrated by his staff, and he has never been more than rich daddy's spoiled little brat.

You missed the NYT story.  His RE deals were his own but most of them failed and Dad had to bail him out.  The few successes were greased by Dad's political connections.

Where he admittedly has succeeded is as a media brand, he has earned decent income from putting his name on buildings that others own and from the whole "Apprentice" ecosystem.  His other success was navigating the bankruptcy system to his advantage and exploiting loopholes in the tax code, in both cases with the help of skilled counsel.

I've heard his golf clubs and courses are really well done if you're a big golf fan (I'm not), albeit they are not typically doing very good as businesses, I think they're considered "good courses."

The Minsky Moment

I've heard the same.  The course are good but they are losing money.  I don't play golf myself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2018, 03:31:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egGUqv8LTkw

Kanye West really, really likes to talk.

Yeah, but I don't like to listen to him talk, so I'm not clicking that link.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2018, 04:46:59 PM

It's 20 minutes of him talking to Trump and the cameras nonstop while Trump just sits there.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2018, 04:53:46 PM

It's 20 minutes of him talking to Trump and the cameras nonstop while Trump just sits there.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any weirder ....

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2018, 04:02:28 PM
I've heard the same.  The course are good but they are losing money.  I don't play golf myself.

Trump courses are good, but it costs too much in electricity to keep the little vanes spinning on that part of the course where you have to putt through the windmills.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I looked it up.

Golf Monthly gave Trump International in Scotland 8th out of 100 best courses in the UK.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2018, 04:53:46 PM

That doesn't exactly make me more willing to click on the link.

Admiral Yi

I think Legbiter is ready to give up on the Donald.

Solmyr

I was more surprised that OvB gave up on the Donald.