What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Or Canadians preferring the world's worst dictators over American politicians. Or European, etc. The fact is, a substantial portion of the population has no clue who Kim Jong Un is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2018, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2018, 10:29:57 AM
Yes I read that. I've also seen countless polls like this in the past. Democracy is not threatened by people making ignorant responses to these polls.

Really, you have seen countless polls showing a significant amount of Americans prefer the world's worst dictator over American politicians they disagree with.  Do you live in the same fantasy world as Donald Trump?  You certainly have the same penchant for exaggeration.

Go back to the article.  Nancy Pelosi and Kim Jong Un weren't compared head to head in a "which leader would you prefer".  They were just compared in their favourablity rankings.

I'm willing to bet that Kim Jong Un's misdeeds are far less well known than Nancy Pelosi - since, you know, Pelosi is an American politician with decades of service, and Kim is from a far away country and relatively knew to power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2018, 10:47:40 AM
I'm willing to bet that Kim Jong Un's misdeeds are far less well known than Nancy Pelosi - since, you know, Pelosi is an American politician with decades of service, and Kim is from a far away country and relatively knew to power.

I think that explains Eddie's blase response, and also one of the most troubling things about the US electorate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2018, 10:45:06 AM
Or Canadians preferring the world's worst dictators over American politicians. Or European, etc. The fact is, a substantial portion of the population has no clue who Kim Jong Un is.

You making stuff up now. 

Oexmelin

As Eddie and Garbon have suggested, the polls were not directly asking whether or not people preferred Kim Jong Un over Nancy Pelosi, but whether they viewed them favorably or not. Which means that people give answers that apply for different contexts (i.e., a distant foreign leader and a hated local political figure). What is concerning about these polls (apart from the "threat" issue) is how quickly opinions change to mimic what is perceived to be on "your" side. Thus, the upswing of appreciation for Putin and Un, the decline in positive opinion about Canada, etc. This is frequent when matters are portrayed in the media as local/foreign (think Freedom Fries, or support for seal hunting in Canada vs rest of the world ) but now, everything else seems to be seen through the prism of outrageous partisanship.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2018, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2018, 10:29:57 AM
Yes I read that. I've also seen countless polls like this in the past. Democracy is not threatened by people making ignorant responses to these polls.

Really, you have seen countless polls showing a significant amount of Americans prefer the world's worst dictator over American politicians they disagree with.  Do you live in the same fantasy world as Donald Trump?  You certainly have the same penchant for exaggeration.

Go back to the article.  Nancy Pelosi and Kim Jong Un weren't compared head to head in a "which leader would you prefer".  They were just compared in their favourablity rankings.

Are you relatively "knew" to spelling?   :)

Jacob

Admiral Yi

I might be willing to take that bet.

Eddie Teach

I gnu somebody was going to correct that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I favor a bladder infection more favorably than Pelosi. Most favorably.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2018, 05:52:13 PM

I might be willing to take that bet.

I don't even see how it is a question. Pelosi has been a known entity for decades (quick check says she's been in congress since the late 80s) while Un has been in power for just 7 years - and in power outside of America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2018, 08:38:20 PM
I don't even see how it is a question. Pelosi has been a known entity for decades (quick check says she's been in congress since the late 80s) while Un has been in power for just 7 years - and in power outside of America.

Most Trump supporters are going to be aware that Fat Boy insulted their fuhrer and threatened to rain nuclear destruction on the US before they became besties.  Whereas with Nancy, I'm thinking most of them would be hard pressed to name anything she actually did.  And the original statement was about mis*deeds*.

Valmy

I mean I get that Pelosi is a political schemer and a shit leader who bizarrely always gets put in authority anyway (probably due to the scheming part) but why is she hated so much? I generally just regard her as a symptom of the general putridness of Congress in general than anything else. Congress rarely passes bills of any significance so any legislation she has helped pass that is particularly odious?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."