What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2018, 03:32:28 PMThe part of the book I thought was weak was his prescription for strengthening liberal democratic institutions which was the most worrying thing.  He made a compelling case for why people were turning away from liberal democracy but didnt have a good solution to the problem.

Yes, and in a way, this illustrates his own point...
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 12, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2018, 03:32:28 PMThe part of the book I thought was weak was his prescription for strengthening liberal democratic institutions which was the most worrying thing.  He made a compelling case for why people were turning away from liberal democracy but didnt have a good solution to the problem.

Yes, and in a way, this illustrates his own point...

Exactly, that is what I found most worrying.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2018, 03:00:05 PM
The relevance of the second sentence is that you are an American and so it is possible that your political system that has only two parties might tend to influence your view of the world.

True.  Only in America could we have the Reign of Terror of 1793-1794 followed by the Thermidorian Reaction and the White Terror of 1794-1795, or the February Days of 1848 followed by the June Days.  Countries with multiple political parties like France could never see such things, as they lacked the system that would so influence their view of the world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 12, 2018, 02:59:18 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 12, 2018, 01:12:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2018, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 12, 2018, 11:39:44 AM
Today I learned Bob Gibson was only 6'1"
But I bet he looked at least 6'4" on the mound, 6'6" if he was throwing inside.

I was at a dinner where George Foster told a fun story about his first time facing Gibson.  Willie Mays advised him not to take too much time getting set in the box or he'd get plunked.  He ignored the advice and got plunked before he even had a chance to look towards the mound.  He never repeated that mistake.
:lol:  That's great.

Great but apocryphal . . .
Foster raked against Gibson. 6-14 lifetime, 2 triples 1 HR, 429avg .467 obp .929 slg
Gibby did get 6Ks on him.
BUT NO HBP.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?batter=fostege01
Maybe it was spring training?

First time Foster ever faced Gibson in a regulation game was pinch hitting for the Giants in 1971.  Foster hit the HR.

Gibson and Drysdale and some other pitchers of that era certainly wouldn't have refrained from throwing at someone just because it was spring training.

The Minsky Moment

Mays only hit .196 against Gibson, couldn't handle him.  He hit Drysdale like a drum though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Ok, so I haven't really followed the Trump Kim meeting very closely.  But can anybody enlighten me as to exactly what was achieved at the meeting?  Because otherwise I may be under the mistaken impression that not much has been achieved. 

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on June 12, 2018, 11:01:49 PM
Ok, so I haven't really followed the Trump Kim meeting very closely.  But can anybody enlighten me as to exactly what was achieved at the meeting?  Because otherwise I may be under the mistaken impression that not much has been achieved. 

Trump fans now think that a murderous dictator is very talented and a nice guy, besides that not much.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on June 12, 2018, 11:01:49 PM

Nothing at all has been accomplished other than the US promising not to hold military exercises with ROK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2018, 09:40:10 AM
Michael Cohen appears to be starting to co-operate with Mueller.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-cooperate-attorneys-leave-case/story?id=55861988

Trump can kill the Mueller probe but he can't stop an investigation from the Southern District of New York.  If Trump and Cohen were involved in criminal action, and that seem likely, Trump is a in a whole mess of trouble.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Looks like Medicare for All is what the Dems will be running on in 2020

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2018, 06:17:50 PM

Numbers are the same for "Universal health coverage"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

What that graphic tells me is that roughly 25% of the population are either slobbering idiots or just obtuse.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2018, 06:17:50 PM

:hmm: Is this one of those "should dihydrogen monoxide be banned" polls?