What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2018, 01:32:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2018, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2018, 11:14:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2018, 11:00:14 AM
Don't know if Melania has any pull with Donald regarding policies, but I'm sure that she'd have a word on two about what happens when you let some Serbs run rampant.  :P

She's a slovene, whose people managed to escape Yugoslavia virtually unscathed by war.

I am not sure one had to be on the front line of the war to understand how terrible it was.

True, but then I don't understand why Melania would have anything particular to say about 'Serbs running rampant'.

She'd probably have followed it a lot more closely than most Americans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 28, 2018, 01:55:09 PM
Don't know if Melania has any pull with Donald regarding policies, but I'm sure that she'd have a word on two about what happens when you let some Serbs run rampant.  :P

She's a slovene, whose people managed to escape Yugoslavia virtually unscathed by war.

I am not sure one had to be on the front line of the war to understand how terrible it was.

True, but then I don't understand why Melania would have anything particular to say about 'Serbs running rampant'.

Melania's early career is somewhat mysterious but by the early to mid 90s she was out of Slovenia and in Milan and Paris modelling.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2018, 02:07:09 PM

Melania's early career is somewhat mysterious but by the early to mid 90s she was out of Slovenia and in Milan and Paris modelling.

Don't Milan and Paris have newspapers, radio, and TV to allow her to follow the news from the balkans more closely than most Americans did?  Your response implies she somehow, due to location, couldn't follow events that would have affected her family, her friends, and her homeland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2018, 02:16:34 PM

Don't Milan and Paris have newspapers, radio, and TV to allow her to follow the news from the balkans more closely than most Americans did?  Your response implies she somehow, due to location, couldn't follow events that would have affected her family, her friends, and her homeland.

Events didn't affect her family, her friends, her homeland.  From what I remember the Yugoslav army rumbled a few tanks through Slovenia for a few days, no one was hurt, then they left and Slovenia became independent a few months later.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2018, 02:21:50 PM

Events didn't affect her family, her friends, her homeland.  From what I remember the Yugoslav army rumbled a few tanks through Slovenia for a few days, no one was hurt, then they left and Slovenia became independent a few months later.

I am not sure you fully appreciate the magnitude of the conflict nor how close what became the Slovenian border is to the fighting that did occur.  You have to remember the Serbs were fighting for the creation of a greater serbia.  I am not sure how Slovenia would escape from the creation of that state if the Serbs had succeeded nor I am sure how someone from the former Yugoslavia would have shrugged it off as being a minor concern.

The Larch

The current Republika Sprska (the Bosnian Serbs) are basically the last remnants of Milosevic-era belicosity in the region (their current President even served in the parliament of the Milosevic-puppet incarnation of the Republika Sprska during the war, albeit in the oposition), and the ones that have being creating tension over there and stirring the pot. She should be able to recognize them for what they are, at the very least big troublemakers, at their worst, potential warmongers.

grumbler

So, your argument is that you know for sure that she had no family living outside Slovenia, that she had no friends living outside Slovenia, and that she considered only Slovenia to be her homeland, despite having grown up in Yugoslavia?

How, pray tell, do you know any of these things well enough to say that the average American followed events in the Yugoslav breakup about as much as she did?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

It was a bit more than Yugoslav tanks rumbling around without harming anyone, it was a war. A short (it's even named the 10 Day War at wiki) and relatively bloodless one (63 killed, 328 wounded), but a war nonetheless. Slovenia got away with it because the Yugoslav army focused on Croatia instead, and Milosevic himself didn't care much for Slovenia personally.

Razgovory

I am betting that isn't real.  For one thing, he doesn't really do commas.  Second, that's not his Twitter handle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Not sure what Barrister was trying to pull in this thread.

As comparison Northern Ireland's sectarian war was a small subset of the UK, 1.5 million people out of 55 million and yet it was still big news at times and one knew people affected by the killings and worried about part of the country breaking away or worse.

Slovenia represented a larger percentage of Yugoslavia, say 3 million out of 30 million, and the country only just avoided being dragged into the worst European ethnic conflict in 45 years. Yugoslavia fragmented like an old hand grenade and people are still dealing with the shrapnel wounds. I'm really struggling to see how these events wouldn't leave a significant impression on almost every citizen of the new country.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

He's trying to pull the story that Slovenian independence was no big fucking deal.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Perfect

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that "ABC does not tolerate comments like those" made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn't get the call?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.