What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2018, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2018, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2018, 05:44:33 PM
Hell its not like other republicans would have treated immigrants and dreamers any better.

Strange then that George W Bush wanted to pass such a reform. And half the members of the gang of 8 are all well known Republican names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Eight_(immigration)

So I take it you agree with my other points then?

And I never thought of republicans as soft on illegals,but maybe I'm misinformed.

No, it was just the one that immediately sprung to mind.

I do believe that Bush oversaw the expansion of Medicare and we all know about RomneyCare.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2018, 05:50:55 PM
Do tell, what can Democrats do to "deal with our deep divisions"?  Specific things, not empty platitudes?

Sort out whether we are a centrist capitalist liberal party or a left wing populist one. Free trade vs. protectionism or 'fair trade' or whatever. What are our ideas on foreign policy? Are we Wall Street's friend or its foe?

Now I just expected our divisions to be healed by my centrist and right leaning side to be pummeled because I am not sure we can continue to be contradictory things on those (and so many other issues) indefinitely. But hey maybe we weirdly can if the Republicans keep it up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2018, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2018, 05:44:33 PM
Hell its not like other republicans would have treated immigrants and dreamers any better.

Strange then that George W Bush wanted to pass such a reform. And half the members of the gang of 8 are all well known Republican names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Eight_(immigration)

Yeah Bush campaigned on reforming immigration and working out a deal with Mexico. He had a really great relationship with Mexico during his time as Texas Governor so there was a lot of enthusiasm for this when he got elected. There was talk of visiting workers permits and the like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Romney ran against Romneycare and Rubio against soft Immigration reform. Those are the standard GOP positions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

The Donald's stance on free trade, his stance on our intelligence agencies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 25, 2018, 06:30:03 PM
Romney ran against Romneycare and Rubio against soft Immigration reform. Those are the standard GOP positions.

We always talk about the policies promoted when running for presidency and the policies actually pushed in office.

Anyway, it would be foolish to suggest that Donald is completely disconnected from the party that he's now inhabiting. He just took many of the stances to cartoonish levels.

That's a bit far from saying he's act policy wise like any other Republican president would have done (setting aside his incompetence).

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2018, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2018, 05:50:55 PM
Do tell, what can Democrats do to "deal with our deep divisions"?  Specific things, not empty platitudes?

Sort out whether we are a centrist capitalist liberal party or a left wing populist one. Free trade vs. protectionism or 'fair trade' or whatever. What are our ideas on foreign policy? Are we Wall Street's friend or its foe?

Now I just expected our divisions to be healed by my centrist and right leaning side to be pummeled because I am not sure we can continue to be contradictory things on those (and so many other issues) indefinitely. But hey maybe we weirdly can if the Republicans keep it up.
Democrats figuring out their ideology would heal the deep divisions in our society?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2018, 04:49:02 PM
Nothing wrong with increasing border security.

It's fictional solution to a fictional problem.  Net migration from Mexico had fallen to zero by 2008 and has remained there ever sense.  And nothing Trump is proposing or doing is a rational way to control the border.

It's typical Trump B.S. and sorry to say that kind of comment is what fuels it.  THe Dems make the same mistake.  "we support more border security"  Where is the insecurity?  As if there is some kind of tectonic fault line on the international border?

Most of the US border consists of:
1) Land border with Canada.  Trump is doing jack about that.  For good reason.
2) The Atlantic, the Pacific and the Gulf of Mexico.  Trump's policy: cut the Coast Guard.

There is something wrong with "increasing border security"  It's contentless metaphorical lanaguage; its meaning is not in the realm of policy or reality but in rhetoric.  And the rhetorical message is a nasty one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Are we Wall Street's friend or its foe?

Which one of these is the good one?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2018, 12:25:38 PM
There's nothing to get behind.  Pence's only interest seems to be keeping his place on the 2020 Trump ticket, he has put his marker firmly down as sycophant-in-chief. 

It's not uncommon for VPs to struggle to find a substantive role, but even by Veep standards, Pence has stood out for his total uselessness.  His main activities were:

+ Chairing the embarrassing  and now disbanded "voter fraud" commission
+ Heading the revived space policy advisory commission.  The last use of the commission was under Bush 41 as a place to park Dan Quayle.  Pence's main activities were to: (1) announce plans to go to the moon, thus bringing the space program forward to the future of the late 1960s, (2) get photographed touching the stuff under the "do not touch" sign.
+ Attending a Colts game for the express purpose of leaving before it started.

The man is a human paperweight.

And that's just fine.  I'd much rather have a paperweight on my desk than a hand grenade.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

You're really overegging that pudding Joan.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2018, 06:57:55 PM
Are we Wall Street's friend or its foe?

Which one of these is the good one?

Depends on who you are.

But so much in this country is tied up in the stock market it seems counter-productive to be antagonistic.

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 25, 2018, 06:30:03 PM

I'll agree that being against some sort of national health care is the standard GOP position (and one which I strongly agree with), but neither party has anything approaching a standard policy towards immigration.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2018, 01:05:36 PM
Trump has enabled the Democrats to kick the can down the road of dealing with the left-wing Bernie revolt during the 2016 election. I guess that is good since I was worried my side would lose such a confrontation.

Uh...hate to get you down Valmy, but there's not going to be a fight. The main candidates have all tacked left because the millenials are further left than they're predecessors and they're now the biggest voting block in America.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2018, 02:46:11 PM
What we have now is one party that pays lip service to conservative values, but another party that actively disavows such values.

What else would you have me do?
Trump doesn't even do that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point