What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2017, 02:44:42 AM
It's amazing. Turn CNN publishes an inaccurate article (and taking corrective action) into a rant about how the media can never be trusted and then plug a Project Veritas video that 'might be bogus but would be damning if true.' :huh:

Oh and then go on to say that she won't comment on certain things (like when asked about why Trump has fake time magazine covers of himself as decorations at his golf clubs) and yet, didn't she just tell us that the White House is the only source the American people can trust?

That CNN fuckup though... :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2017, 09:11:22 AM
It's amazing. Turn CNN publishes an inaccurate article (and taking corrective action) into a rant about how the media can never be trusted and then plug a Project Veritas video that 'might be bogus but would be damning if true.' :huh:

Oh and then go on to say that she won't comment on certain things (like when asked about why Trump has fake time magazine covers of himself as decorations at his golf clubs) and yet, didn't she just tell us that the White House is the only source the American people can trust?

This is just another example of a larger issue: that self-correcting mechanisms appear untrustworthy to the ignorant.

The reason is that, by their very nature, they admit of making mistakes. To the ignorant, an admission of a mistake, or the uncovering of positive wrongdoing, is a weakness. If an organization admits to making mistakes or of hiring wrongdoers, they must be riddled with wrong.

You see this all the time with science, which is nothing but a gigantic system of self-correction, and advances basically by constant checking of new theories and data, uncovering and correcting mistakes and fraud. Now you are seeing it with journalism. 

Contrast with the Trumps of this world, who never self-correct, and so (by their own account) never make mistakes.

The advance of "alternative" woo in the popular esteem ahead of science, "alternative" news in the place of real journalism, or the likes of Trump ahead of sensible politicians, has roots in the same phenomenon: that the ignorant mistake self-correction for weakness and the assertion of correctness in the face of all evidence to the contrary for strength - and they like strength.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2017, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2017, 09:11:22 AM

This is just another example of a larger issue: that self-correcting mechanisms appear untrustworthy to the ignorant.

The reason is that, by their very nature, they admit of making mistakes. To the ignorant, an admission of a mistake, or the uncovering of positive wrongdoing, is a weakness. If an organization admits to making mistakes or of hiring wrongdoers, they must be riddled with wrong.

You see this all the time with science, which is nothing but a gigantic system of self-correction, and advances basically by constant checking of new theories and data, uncovering and correcting mistakes and fraud. Now you are seeing it with journalism. 

Contrast with the Trumps of this world, who never self-correct, and so (by their own account) never make mistakes.

The advance of "alternative" woo in the popular esteem ahead of science, "alternative" news in the place of real journalism, or the likes of Trump ahead of sensible politicians, has roots in the same phenomenon: that the ignorant mistake self-correction for weakness and the assertion of correctness in the face of all evidence to the contrary for strength - and they like strength.   

You can see why spicey is so pleased.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Yeah I thought that was actually thought that reflected well on CNN, one of the few times I have ever had positive thoughts about a cable news station.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

This isn't a self-correction-- it's damage control.  They'll make up more shit on Trump.  It's just good business.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Weird it is necessary to make up shit about Trump. But I think you hit the nail on the head about why I never really trusted those news networks. CNN was so huge in the phony satanic panic of the 1980s (and I don't think ever apologized for it) and I have never completely forgiven them for it.

Every news source is going to have their bias and you have to take that into consideration but holy shit is there a ton of just out and out intentional bullshit out there these days. Often with Orwellian names like 'The Truth Project' or some shit. Fortunately I have Languish to deliver unbiased fair and balanced news.

It is disheartening how my facebook page and email are just bombarded by propaganda (that is not even the right word) designed to outrage and generate clicks rather than inform. The people who are behind that stuff are doing serious damage to our country I think. '10 things Trump does NOT want you to know.' and of course all the endless list of things my doctor is desperate I not find out about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 28, 2017, 08:20:50 AM
They're... learning...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whos-afraid-of-trump-not-enough-republicans--at-least-for-now/2017/06/27/cee56720-5b57-11e7-9b7d-14576dc0f39d_story.html?utm_term=.0b61edc58e70
Scrambling to line up support for the Republican health-care bill, President Trump got on the phone Monday with Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and urged him to back the measure.

The president's personal plea was not enough. On Tuesday, Lee said he would vote against the bill. Senate GOP leaders later postponed the planned health-care vote because too many other Republican senators also opposed — for now, at least — legislation that would deliver on Trump's campaign promise to scale back the law known as Obamacare.

Trump had hoped for a swift and easy win on health care this week. Instead he got a delay and a return to the negotiating table — the latest reminder of the limits of his power to shape outcomes at the opposite end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

History suggests that presidents who have governed successfully have been both revered and feared. But Republican fixtures in Washington are beginning to conclude that Trump may be neither, despite his mix of bravado, threats and efforts to schmooze with GOP lawmakers.

In private conversations on Capitol Hill, Trump is often not taken seriously. Some Republican lawmakers consider some of his promises — such as making Mexico pay for a new border wall — fantastical. They are exhausted and at times exasperated by his hopscotching from one subject to the next, chronicled in his pithy and provocative tweets. They are quick to point out how little command he demonstrates of policy. And they have come to regard some of his threats as empty, concluding that crossing the president poses little danger.

And Trump's response was to tweet "FAKE NEWS" and threaten to tax the Post's corporate parent (Amazon).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2017, 09:59:43 AM

This isn't a self-correction-- it's damage control.  They'll make up more shit on Trump.  It's just good business.

It is still infinitely better than what the White House does as in promoting fake news while decrying fake news. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

CNN's pretty crappy but still the least worst of the cable news networks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 10:06:54 AM
Weird it is necessary to make up shit about Trump.

Seriously.
This is the guy who just said this:

Quote@realDonaldTrump  4h
4 hours ago
Some of the Fake News Media likes to say that I am not totally engaged in healthcare. Wrong, I know the subject well & want victory for U.S.

Can't make this stuff up.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2017, 10:24:05 AM

Seriously.
This is the guy who just said this:

Quote@realDonaldTrump  4h
4 hours ago
Some of the Fake News Media likes to say that I am not totally engaged in healthcare. Wrong, I know the subject well & want victory for U.S.

Can't make this stuff up.

Come on, takes a lot of know how to apply the correct glue to keep the presidential doormat in place on top.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Yup.  He's bad enough.  But they have to make shit up to make him look like a traitor that sold out to the Russians.  Because some people (though certainly not anyone here) will consume those stories without questioning anything.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2017, 12:11:44 PM

Yup.  He's bad enough.  But they have to make shit up to make him look like a traitor that sold out to the Russians.  Because some people (though certainly not anyone here) will consume those stories without questioning anything.

Who has made  up such a story?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

celedhring

Sav will be proud of my Google alerts.

Stop the presses!