What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 26, 2017, 02:24:31 PM
The Focus plant was cancelled.  The Michigan plant expansion - announced at the same time to give the impression of linkage - was in fact a retooling in build something different and was unrelated to the Mexican plant closure.

At the time Ford said that the Focus production would continue in Mexico, although in a different, already existing plant.  However, now we know different - some Focus production will continue in Mexico, the rest will be shipped to China.

So I take it you're interpreting this move as a pre-emptive strike against the likelihood of NAFTA "renegociation?"  Because there's not much evidence it was done to appease the Orange Deity.

The Minsky Moment

The evidence is clear that a deliberate decision was made to shift significant amounts of small car production from Mexico to China.  There is no way to be certain 100% why that decision is made.  But in the last year, wages in China have gone up, and there is still the minor problem that there is a large ocean separating China from the US, and a land border separating Mexico in the US.  There isn't anything I can think of in the last year that would make China seem like a materially better option than before, nor anything that happened internally in Mexico that would make Mexico seem worse.  However, there the following significant, relevant material events did occur:
+ Trump's attacks on US companies increasing production in Mexico - including Ford specifically for this specific plant
+ Trump's public praise for Ford for scrapping this specific plant
+ Trump's threats to scrap NAFTA and the resulting uncertainty about the future ease of moving goods across the Mexico-US land border.

This one doesn't strike me as an Agatha Christie whodunit.  The orange butler did it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

The only thing that made China a better option than Mexico is that Ford didn't want to hear any more shit about it from Trump.  If it shuts that imbecile up for 15 minutes and keeps Ford off his Twitter account, it's a win.

CountDeMoney

QuoteFBI agents have repeatedly questioned former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page about his contacts with Russians and his interactions with the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Over a series of five meetings in March, totaling about 10 hours of questioning, Page repeatedly denied wrongdoing when asked about allegations that he may have acted as a kind of go-between for Russia and the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with Page's account.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-has-questioned-trump-campaign-adviser-carter-page-at-length-in-russia-probe/2017/06/26/1a271dcc-5aa5-11e7-a9f6-7c3296387341_story.html

The Federal Bureau of Intimidation doesn't interview you for 10 hours' worth of material without the intent of building a case somewhere along the line.

Then again, Page is such an unbelievable goofball he may not have shut the fuck up and they just let him talk to hear himself talk.  That guy's compass needle is seriously demagnetized.

Razgovory

Yeah, he's fucked.  I wonder if he knows it yet. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

This morning's outpouring, So far:

QuoteTweets:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump    6m
So they caught Fake News CNN cold, but what about NBC, CBS & ABC? What about the failing @nytimes & @washingtonpost? They are all Fake News!

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump    23m
Fake News CNN is looking at big management changes now that they got caught falsely pushing their phony Russian stories. Ratings way down!

Donald J. Trump retweeted
   Eric Bolling
@ericbolling    1h
Good morning friends! "The Swamp" out today. President Trump has a copy... get yours here ericbolling.com. #maga!!

FOX & friends
@foxandfriends    2h
President Trump officially nominates former Assistant Attorney General Christopher Wray to head the FBI pic.twitter.com/ld7xuw95jw

FOX & friends
@foxandfriends    4h
Another Dem 'queasy' over claim of Loretta Lynch meddling in Clinton case

FOX & friends
@foxandfriends    5h
Hannity: Russia allegations 'boomeranging back' on Democrats

FOX & friends
@foxandfriends    4h
Mark Levin: The collusion is among the Democrats

Anyone care to make sense of the top two, do they have any bearing on being the President of the USA?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Well yes, the top 2 are obviously about the retraction that CNN made of its story. But, of course, he misses fact that news media actually makes retractions and punishes reporters spinning lies when they determine that lies have been made. Donald can only focus on the fact that they admitting that they printed 'fake news.'
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I wonder how the universe where Jack Dorsey didn't invent Twitter is doing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

He would just be spamming the New York Post, like the last 30 years.

The Minsky Moment

From the individual affected:

QuoteAnthony Scaramucci‏
Verified account
 @Scaramucci  Jun 24

More
Anthony Scaramucci Retweeted CNN
.@CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on.

President should take a page from Scaramucci's book.  No one does more to keep Russia at the top of the headlines than Trump himself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Yeah Trump really woke up the anti-Americanism that had been dormant in Mexico for awhile. I hope nothing bad comes of it before he can be replaced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I think the most damning one there is South Korea.

Valmy

I am a little surprised by Hungary. I figured if there was any EU population that would like Trump it would be Hungarians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Why do the Nigerians and Vietnamese like Trump so much?