News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 11 nations of North America

Started by viper37, November 08, 2016, 04:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

It dates from 2013, but I don't remember discussing it here.
Link

It's part of a book that goes into more detail.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Damn the map is so small I cannot see clearly if I am in El Norte or Greater Caligaland. I it is the latter though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I hate that Shadowrun doesn't have a fixed time but a developing timeline, I can't be bothered to keep up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2016, 04:17:40 PM
Damn the map is so small I cannot see clearly if I am in El Norte or Greater Caligaland. I it is the latter though.
Larger map:
[spoiler]

[/Spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Ah thanks. Yes Fireblade and Caliga are my countrymen while you foreign San Antonio bastards are over in El Norte.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Greater Appalachia jibes with my own observations, but I don't get Yankeedom in the upper Midwest.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Rex Francorum

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2016, 04:12:37 PM
Link

So after 9 nations, there are 11?

The author Joel Garreau suggested in 1981 that North America was culturally/economically divided in 9 nations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

I really wonder how accurate is this new book, because putting southern Louisiana with Québec and part of New Brunswick makes a lot of sense.  :wacko:
To rent

garbon

Quote from: Rex Francorum on November 08, 2016, 05:00:24 PM
Link

The author Joel Garreau suggested in 1981 that North America was culturally/economically divided in 9 nations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

I really wonder how accurate is this new book.

I.feel.like we definitely talked about this more recent one a few years back.

Anyway, we're in a whole new century!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Not really a new concept.  There was a 1981 book called "The Nine Nations of North America" that advanced similar, though obviously not identical, ideas.

Malthus

Quote from: Rex Francorum on November 08, 2016, 05:00:24 PM
Link

I really wonder how accurate is this new book, because putting southern Louisiana with Québec and part of New Brunswick makes a lot of sense.  :wacko:

The old one was also a bit wonky:

QuoteThe Foundry — the by-then-declining industrial areas of the northeastern United States and Great Lakes region stretching from New York City to Milwaukee and down to the suburbs of Washington DC in Northern Virginia, and including Chicago, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toledo, Philadelphia, and Southern Ontario centering on Toronto. Capital: Detroit.

An area that includes NYC, Toronto and Chicago - and its capital is Detroit:lol:

Back to the drawing board with that!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Detroit natives will thrive in the post-apocalyptic world, due to their greater experience.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2016, 05:25:24 PM
Detroit natives will thrive in the post-apocalyptic world, due to their greater experience.

You make a good point.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2016, 05:02:09 PM
I.feel.like we definitely talked about this more recent one a few years back.

Why yes we did.  You can tell even this one is old since Tampa and Orlando aren't part of the Spanish Caribbean.

I had suggested Siege use that premise as the basis of his novel in this thread.  I don't think he listened to me, though.   :(

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock