News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Post-Nominal Letters

Started by Savonarola, October 28, 2016, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2016, 11:12:16 AM
I was told my undergraduate degree from Georgetown entitles me, by act of Congress, to put "esq." after my name.

I can't find anything to confirm that.  Pretty much everything that comes up suggests "Esquire" is limited to lawyers in the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

When/if I get my PE I will probably put that on the end of my name for professional purposes.

Need to pass the exam in April though. May the Engineer Gods have mercy upon me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
When/if I get my PE I will probably put that on the end of my name for professional purposes.

Need to pass the exam in April though. May the Engineer Gods have mercy upon me.

They're fickle gods. Bring a femal sacrifice. Engineers get all flustered around women, I'm sure their gods would too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

The accountant is talking smack.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 28, 2016, 11:43:38 AM
The accountant is talking smack.  :lol:

You'd be surprised how many women put out when you offer to do their taxes :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Has it really been five years since you've graduated already?  Où sont les neiges d'antan?

Best of luck!  (And don't be one of those people who bring in an entire suitcase full of books to the exam.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2016, 12:24:56 PM

Has it really been five years since you've graduated already?  Où sont les neiges d'antan?

Best of luck!  (And don't be one of those people who bring in an entire suitcase full of books to the exam.)

No but the Texas Board of Professional Engineers changed the rules so now I can take the exam anytime after I have been certified EIT. I still have to wait until 2019 to be made PE though.

But I don't really see the point waiting around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2016, 12:29:41 PM
No but the Texas Board of Professional Engineers changed the rules so now I can take the exam anytime after I have been certified EIT. I still have to wait until 2019 to be made PE though.

But I don't really see the point waiting around.

Ah, then sooner is much better (unless you're planning to get your masters.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 11:22:09 AM
I was told my undergraduate degree from Georgetown entitles me, by act of Congress, to put "esq." after my name.

I can't find anything to confirm that.  Pretty much everything that comes up suggests "Esquire" is limited to lawyers in the US.

Yi used his for rolling paper years ago.

Admiral Yi

Seedy is my own personal blue haired church lady.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 11:22:09 AM

:hmm:

I think in the UK it may be different, Esquire being used where the person has no know letters after their name? : unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Unless a person has an actual doctorate (and an earned one, not an honorary) or in certain professional contexts (CPS, for example), I'd consider pretty much anyone in the US who put their degrees, titles, etc., with their name to be compensating for something.

grumbler

Did you believe what you were told?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

What about post-coital letters?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2016, 04:48:18 PM
What about post-coital letters?
Ugh, it's the letterboxsexuals pushing his agenda again.