And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Jack Chick

Started by Martinus, October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

He was right. I did start with D&D...

Hamilcar

He was proof that religion can truly rot minds.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

His comics have a certain camp humour, and you have to hand it to him that he certainly put his money where his mouth was and tried right up to the end to reach people.

And while his "chicklet" format is horribly dated now, in the 1960s it was kind of innovative.  Use of the new, secular medium of comic books to try and spread the Word was quite an innovation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Yeah it's a horrible system.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

That said, the echoes of Gnosticism in Restorationist Christianity are fascinating. Chick himself (in his colorful illustrations of Christian history) argues that the Bogomils and Cathars were bearers of the light of the True Christian Church -- a tradition that was repressed by Constantine and survived via secret practice until the Reformation and the present.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2016, 02:02:11 PM

A rabid ant-catholic.  You had a lot in common.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2016, 03:19:00 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2016, 02:02:11 PM

A rabid ant-catholic.  You had a lot in common.

I... don't think you understand.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Hamilcar

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2016, 05:00:56 PM
I think I do.

I'll bite: how do I have anything in common with a group of deluded people attacking other people over minor details of their delusions?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2016, 02:26:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Yeah it's a horrible system.

:lol:  Marti failed his save throw  +1 Bag of Holding Dicks

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2016, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2016, 05:00:56 PM
I think I do.

I'll bite: how do I have anything in common with a group of deluded people attacking other people over minor details of their delusions?

I stated that already.  Anti-Catholic.  A person with contempt for all religions differs from a person who has contempt for all religions but his own by hatred of only one religion.  So really, you only differ over the issue of one faith out of thousands.  On the others you are in agreement.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Dude was an hysterical POS. The world is better off.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".