News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Learning a new language?

Started by The Brain, October 20, 2016, 03:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Slime forest -> kanji damage -> struggle
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Japanese kanji is the easiest part of the language  :sleep:

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2016, 06:46:13 AM
Japanese kanji is the easiest part of the language  :sleep:
:yes:
It is also the base through which the language should be learned.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

I've used Duolingo (which, unfortunately, doesn't offer Japanese) and Memrise in tandem for French, Spanish and Italian.  I think they work reasonably well.  You could probably use Rosetta Stone in place of Duolingo.

News in Slow... is a good podcast once you have mastered the basics.

I've found that some of the blogs on FluentU have decent tips for more advanced podcasts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Brazen

Do you have Meetup groups or similar? They have regular get-togethers for native speakers and learners to mingle and try out conversations at all levels.

The Brain

Thanks for the tips. I shall dive into stuff and see. :)

Yeah I heard that there's a sex difference in Japanese. I shall endeavour to be manly.

Is it OK to speak 16th century Japanese if I wear an appropriate outfit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2016, 04:42:57 PM
The one thing with using samurai and ninja movies... the Japanese they speak is not necessarily modern conversational Japanese.
yeah, he should tried animes instead.

;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

My 13 year old niece has been taking Japanese for a few years now;  has such an ear for it, she's been winning awards in school for it.

Think she's getting a little Dances With Snow Monkeys on me, though...when I told her what the Japanese translation for the capital of Hawaii was, she got all tsk-tsky.  Apparently "Honoruru" is not only incorrect, but makes tweenager girls roll their eyes.

Josquius

Hawaii and japan is really weird.  It's like their 48th prefecture.  There's japan then theres America then theres hawai.  Pronounced with only one I.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2016, 06:30:23 PM
My 13 year old niece has been taking Japanese for a few years now;  has such an ear for it, she's been winning awards in school for it.

Think she's getting a little Dances With Snow Monkeys on me, though...when I told her what the Japanese translation for the capital of Hawaii was, she got all tsk-tsky.  Apparently "Honoruru" is not only incorrect, but makes tweenager girls roll their eyes.

I think your "Asian stereotypes from the 70s LOL!" schtick only really is well received by a subset of old white Americans.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2016, 02:56:51 PM
I think your "Asian stereotypes from the 70s LOL!" schtick only really is well received by a subset of old white Americans.

Thanks.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Bet it made your Nippons hard.