News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Learning a new language?

Started by The Brain, October 20, 2016, 03:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I'm toying with the idea of starting a long-term project: learning Japanese. What is a good way to do this without living in Japan or taking classes? Is there a get good quick scheme for learning a new language that actually works? Do people have experience with any teach yourself packages and stuff (regardless of language)?

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2016, 03:48:52 PM
I'm toying with the idea of starting a long-term project: learning Japanese. What is a good way to do this without living in Japan or taking classes? Is there a get good quick scheme for learning a new language that actually works? Do people have experience with any teach yourself packages and stuff (regardless of language)?

Duolingo is free and fairly useful.  Maybe talk to Lettow, he learned Japanese.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Watch a few thousand anime episodes  :ph34r:

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2016, 03:52:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2016, 03:48:52 PM

Duolingo is free and fairly useful.  Maybe talk to Lettow, he learned Japanese.

Duolingo looks interesting (thanks) but doesn't seem to do Japanese. :(

The Brain

LaCroix

Jacob

Without taking formal classes or moving to the country in question:

1) Get some of the audio-learning courses: Pimsleur/ Rosetta Stone/ Duolingo etc

2) Get some text books and use those for self study.

3) Consume media in the language in question.

4) Engage in language exchanges with people who speak that language (might be hard to do in Sweden?)

5) Visit the country on vacation - ideally on an immersive language learning tour.

6) Get a significant other who's a native of that country.

... I would consider taking some formal classes, though, especially at the beginning.

Japanese is pretty good in that there's a lot of "fun self-study" type material around - at least for Japanese and English.

The Brain

Thanks, Jacob. Classrooms give me a rash, but at least I should force myself to check out which classes are available. Maybe I'll come around.

I plan to take another trip to Japan (have been once in 2014), but have still to decide when and how and stuff.

I shall watch more samurai movies for science.

Is the chick from Shogun available and the same age as in 1980?

Duque de Bragança

Jacob has some good hints, I believe the Brain should be able to find some Japanese language exchange/tandem in Stockholm. The Swedish capital should or could have some Japanese expats or students. Formal classes can vary a lot in quality and are tough after a day's work yes. Just avoid those filled by anime nerds, goes without saying though.

Massive online open courses can help too (MOOC). Generally free. There is one to learn Japanese for Anglo native speakers for instance: https://www.mooc-list.com/course/japanese-wma

The Japanese offer their own there, I saw some courses to learn Japanese during the summer so they are over. More to come soon I guess. To be checked regularly.

http://www.jmooc.jp/en/about/

https://learnbox.in/course/introduction-japanese-language-culture/

PS: Watch all Samurai AND Japanese ninja movies too.

Jacob

The one thing with using samurai and ninja movies... the Japanese they speak is not necessarily modern conversational Japanese.

Admiral Yi

I've been warned several times by Japanese speakers that if you try to pick it up by watching movies, keep in mind that men and women tend to speak differently.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2016, 04:50:56 PM
I've been warned several times by Japanese speakers that if you try to pick it up by watching movies, keep in mind that men and women tend to speak differently.

Yeah for sure. My friend - who eventually ended up settling in Japan permanently - made a specific point to develop friendships with Japanese guys in Vancouver to help avoid the "pervy white dude talking like a girl" syndrome.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2016, 05:15:39 PM

Yeah for sure. My friend - who eventually ended up settling in Japan permanently - made a specific point to develop friendships with Japanese guys in Vancouver to help avoid the "pervy white dude talking like a girl" syndrome.

:lol:

Jacob, nice anecdote and clever guy for thinking that far forward.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2016, 05:15:39 PM

Fairly sure The Brain aims to talk pervy not to their girls, but to their nuclear powerplants.

Tonitrus

You cannot hug a nuclear power plant.  :mad: