Restaurants in Malaysia told to rename hot dogs or be banned

Started by Martinus, October 19, 2016, 03:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
Why should we worry about how other people want to call their food? 

A government agency that is going to ban you unless you name your shit a certain thing is pretty obnoxious. Certainly does not reflect well on Malaysia but besides that no big deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Heh, I have been told that a government agency in Canada has stated that one cannot label a liquid product made from almonds as "almond milk", but rather it must be called an "almond beverage" or something of that sort.

The reason?

Despite the fact that "almond milk" is widely known as the name for this product, under Canadian food regulations, "milk" is a regulated term that means a dairy product made from the secretions of animals; putting a name before it, as in "[named flavor] milk", means a flavored type of milk, as in "chocolate milk". The concern is customer confusion - in theory, if a customer sees "almond milk", they may think it refers to "milk flavored with almond flavoring". In reality, even if no customers are confused, the regs create a standard for a product known as "milk" that only fits dairy-type products, and the bureaucrats are reluctant to make exceptions, except through legislative changes.

This sort of thing is totally standard in food regulation, happens all the time. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

But that is Canada, which not remains under the tyranny of the crown of the UK (from which we liberated ourselves in 1776) but also is drifting toward sharia law in its legal system (as I've learned in some right wing blogs).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

God damnit.

You know, I believe that there is a real problem with Islam, and how it is practiced and the practical effects it has on human liberty, social equality, and justice.

What you call a fucking mystery meat tube on a menu in order to be considered compliant with particular religious specific rules doesn't really rise to the level of concern that honor killing, death sentences for apostates, state mandated religious instruction, and suppression of religious freedom for other Muslims and non-Muslims might suggest.

Fucking hot dogs. Really?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2016, 06:54:57 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
Why should we worry about how other people want to call their food? 

A government agency that is going to ban you unless you name your shit a certain thing is pretty obnoxious. Certainly does not reflect well on Malaysia but besides that no big deal.

As pointed out above, the article merely says that they will be refused Halal certification unless they change the name, not that the product will be banned if they don't change the name.

They can keep the name "Hot Dog" and not be Halal certified - since the company probably made the request for certification themselves I don't see a problem in the certification authority issuing conditions.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2016, 08:19:29 AM
But that is Canada, which not remains under the tyranny of the crown of the UK (from which we liberated ourselves in 1776) but also is drifting toward sharia law in its legal system (as I've learned in some right wing blogs).

:D

The US FDA is urged to take a similar approach:

http://www.nmpf.org/imitation-dairy-products
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2016, 08:26:23 AM
I didn't think Hot dogs were Halal to begin with.

They make hotdogs with cow anuses instead of pig anuses too, you know.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2016, 08:27:23 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2016, 08:19:29 AM

:D

The US FDA is urged to take a similar approach:

http://www.nmpf.org/imitation-dairy-products

Good.  Nut milks taste bad and use a shit load of water not only to grow but produce (and in they're grown and made in drought states). This fad needs to go away.

also website using hard pressed made me giggle.  See, why can't languish puns be good like that
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

It's far from an outrage, but the backlash against the OP is puzzling.  Not being able to call a hot dog a hot dog is just silly, regardless of where you are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2016, 12:55:28 PM
It's far from an outrage, but the backlash against the OP is puzzling.  Not being able to call a hot dog a hot dog is just silly, regardless of where you are.

Because it is a weak Marti freak out? Who cares what they are doing in Malaysia about what a hot dog can be called at a certified halal restaurant?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.