News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize

Started by mongers, October 13, 2016, 07:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Seems like an appropriate choice.

US singer Bob Dylan has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature.

The 75-year-old rock legend received the prize "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".

The balladeer, artist and occasional actor is the first songwriter to win the prestigious award.

The performer - who took his stage name from the poet Dylan Thomas - is the first American to win the award since novelist Toni Morrison in 1993.

Sara Danius, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, said Dylan had been chosen because he was "a great poet in the English speaking tradition".

"For 54 years now he's been at it reinventing himself, constantly creating a new identity," she told reporters in Stockholm.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37643621
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Seems a bit late though, no? How close are we to his most recent relevant bits of his body of work?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 07:43:41 AM
Seems a bit late though, no? How close are we to his most recent relevant bits of his body of work?

2006 I'd say. I get your point but isn't this more like a lifetime achievement award than for specific works?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Yeah. But that is pretty common for the Nobel Prize right? Einstein won his for his 1905 paper in 1922.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 13, 2016, 07:49:56 AM

2006 I'd say. I get your point but isn't this more like a lifetime achievement award than for specific works?

Obama. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Well deserved.

I have always thought he was a poet who has been just smart enough to realise his creations can reach far more people in the form of music.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2016, 08:07:22 AM
Well deserved.

I have always thought he was a poet who has been just smart enough to realise his creations can reach far more people in the form of music.

Heart of a poet and voice of a stroke victim.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Well deserved. The Nobel prizes think out of the box often, and sometimes it backfires on them, but this one is surely deserved.

Wonder if the day will come where a film writer deserves this. Many playwrights have won it already.

Monoriu

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2016, 08:07:22 AM
Well deserved.

I'd argue that this is almost universally true among modern poets.  Have you heard the stuff that passes for 'poetry" today?  It's just prose with bad punctuation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Hamilcar