News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize

Started by mongers, October 13, 2016, 07:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Caliga

Usually when the Nobel dudes do weird shit it pisses me off, but I'm ok with this. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 13, 2016, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 13, 2016, 01:37:50 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 13, 2016, 12:47:07 PM
Eh, inoffensive I guess.

Yes your post is.

Old people and their attachment to their dying heroes.

:lol:

I'm not actually a fan of his, but I do understand his cultural significance.

I think you're getting locking into au contraire trolling al a Marty.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

Bad choice.

He's a SONGwriter (probably the best one), but not a poet.
His words cannot be separated from his music, because the ones are enhanced by the other and vice versa. 
In a matter of seconds at least five writers come to mind that deserve the prize more than Dylan.

But discussing Literature and Peace prize Nobels has become useless, because stupidity and political/social opportunity.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Quote from: Pedrito on October 13, 2016, 02:37:09 PM
Bad choice.

His words cannot be separated from his music, because the ones are enhanced by the other and vice versa. 
In a matter of seconds at least five writers come to mind that deserve the prize more than Dylan.

But discussing Literature and Peace prize Nobels has become useless, because stupidity and political/social opportunity.

L.

I don't see why songs wouldn't count. Do you think Homer would have deserved the Prize?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pedrito

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2016, 02:56:24 PM
Bad choice.

L.

I don't see why songs wouldn't count. Do you think Homer would have deserved the Prize?

I'm saying it's a different art form. Would you give a Grammy to JL Borges?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Quote from: Pedrito on October 13, 2016, 04:25:41 PM
Bad choice.

L.

L.

I would and I have.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Pedrito on October 13, 2016, 04:25:41 PM
Bad choice.

L.

L.

Hillary Clinton has a Grammy. So do Bill and Obama.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

If Winston Churchill deserves a Nobel Prize for Literature, then so does Bob Dylan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Bad choice.

L.

I've never understood the argument that, if an author has skills beyond mere poetry, he should be disqualified from the Nobel Prize for Literature and the award given to someone incapable of also composing music.  The argument that one cannot separate lyrics and musical is self-evidently false:  how many lyrical songs have instrumental versions, and how hard is it to find lyrics written down, completely separated from the score?

Now, I can't argue one way or the other for Dylan versus some other candidate, in part because the Literature Prize is such a "lifetime achievement" award, but I will say that I can't think of someone more deserving than Dylan in terms of the quality of the writing and impact on public consciousness.

The days are long gone when a work that was popular was considered too vulgar to be literature, and only shitty obscure authors were noble enough to get the Nobel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

It is now only a matter of time before the Nobel Literature Committee recognizes the brilliance of "baby one more time" by Britney Spears.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Bad choice.

L.

I read recently that John Steinbeck nominated Al Capp (cartoonist who wrote "Lil' Abner") for the Nobel Prize in literature.  So it could have been worse; the writers of Charlie Hedbo could have won.

;)

Personally I think Dylan's a decent choice.  Graduate students in literature will be over-analyzing his lyrics for decades to come; certainly that alone merits at least some consideration for the prize.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock