News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thai King Bhumibol is Dead

Started by Monoriu, October 12, 2016, 09:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Must suck to have booked  trip to Thailand around now.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2016, 04:24:22 AM

I have booked a trip to Bangkok in January, and I am not too worried.  It probably depends on how your want to do Bangkok though.  I mainly go there for the food and for some shopping, and I am quite confident that my trip will be unaffected.  Whatever happens to the King, they still need to earn a living.  I just don't believe that they'll close the restaurants, hotels and department stores, at least not for long.  But if you focus on the night life, then you'll probably be more concerned. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 16, 2016, 03:47:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 16, 2016, 03:43:34 AM
The coronation of the new king will be delayed by at least a year.

That's a seriously long rehab.

King Bhumibol had been seriously ill for many years.  His death was by no means unexpected.  They must have a plan in place on how to do the succession.  The Crown Prince isn't exactly popular and he knows it.  If he takes the throne now, the contrast with his father will be too great. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 16, 2016, 04:49:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2016, 04:24:22 AM

I have booked a trip to Bangkok in January, and I am not too worried.  It probably depends on how your want to do Bangkok though.  I mainly go there for the food and for some shopping, and I am quite confident that my trip will be unaffected.  Whatever happens to the King, they still need to earn a living.  I just don't believe that they'll close the restaurants, hotels and department stores, at least not for long.  But if you focus on the night life, then you'll probably be more concerned. 
You're reasonably well off and coming from Asia. If it does suck you've lost...what, £200 max? As you say your activities are pretty unlikely to be affected too.
I'm thinking more of those working class people from Europe who scrape together the hundreds needed to go on a party holiday over there. :(

I do recall reading a piece a few months ago where a lady from the Thai government was speaking about wanting to change Thailand's image away from this land of sex, drugs and ladyboys and towards being a more respectable tourist destination. Wonder if they'll exploit this period  towards that end.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2016, 05:38:20 AM
I'm thinking more of those working class people from Europe who scrape together the hundreds needed to go on a party holiday over there. :(

Seems like there are a lot more tragic things in the world.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

With the lower stability in Thailand right now, this may be a good time to declare war. Hopefully Obama is paying attention.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Alcibiades

Quote from: alfred russel on October 16, 2016, 07:51:21 PM
With the lower stability in Thailand right now, this may be a good time to declare war. Hopefully Obama is paying attention.

Thailand is our ally....  I was just there this past spring to do joint exercises with their military.  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tonitrus

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 16, 2016, 08:04:22 PM

Thailand is our ally....  I was just there this past spring to do joint exercises with their military.  :unsure:

I just assumed that was a bad Europa Universalis joke.  :sleep:

alfred russel

I don't doubt our top brass finds lots of reasons to schedule joint exercises in places with hot young women at affordable prices.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

No shit.  Enough of all this Thai-bashing already.  You want China hemmed in, these are the kind of assholes you have to deal with. 

And I don't know what the fucking problem is with promoting the goddamned dog, either.  I had successfully nominated and named my cat as SAKEUR, and granted it was an ex officio, but still.  No biggie.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2016, 08:55:46 PM

No shit.  Enough of all this Thai-bashing already.  You want China hemmed in, these are the kind of assholes you have to deal with. 

And I don't know what the fucking problem is with promoting the goddamned dog, either.  I had successfully nominated and named my cat as SAKEUR, and granted it was an ex officio, but still.  No biggie.

I gave Drut the title of Brigadefuhrer after his death. Mew.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Hail to His Majesty!  Long Live the King!  Hail to His Majesty!  Long Live the King!

Thailand: Crown prince assumes throne as King Rama X
By James Griffiths and Kocha Olarn, CNN
Updated 1512 GMT (2312 HKT) December 1, 2016

(CNN)After 49 days of uncertainty, Thailand has a new King.

Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, 64, officially accepted an invitation by the Thai government on Thursday to assume the throne.

The new Rama X will be known as King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindhorndevarangkul. The Chakri dynasty, beginning with Rama I, has ruled Thailand since 1782.

Following the October death of his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Vajiralongkorn said he needed "time to mourn" before he took the crown.
A temporary regent ruled Thailand during this period of constitutional uncertainty.

Crown prince since 1972

Born in July 1952, Vajiralongkorn was first introduced to the Thai people through his father's home videos, which were shown in theaters across the country.
He was educated in the United Kingdom and Australia before officially being declared crown prince and heir apparent in 1972.

His older sister, Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya, who is 65, could not ascend to the throne since women are not allowed to become monarch under Thailand's succession laws.

Vajiralongkorn has been married three times -- to Soamsawali Kitiyakara in 1977, Yuvadhida Polpraserth in 1994 and Srirasmi Suwadee in 2001 -- and has two daughters and five sons, only one of whom is officially recognized as a prince.

Uncharted path

King Bhumibol ruled Thailand for seven decades, a time in which the country underwent massive change and turmoil, including war and more than a dozen coups (both attempted and successful).

Bhumibol was seen as a unifying figure, beloved by most Thais and regarded as above politics.

As the king's health faded during his last years, instability and chaos dominated the country. Popularly elected Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was overthrown in a military coup in 2006, and another one followed in 2014.

Since then, the military junta has passed two constitutions shoring up its power and weakening its rivals.

Some observers put the tensions down to uncertainty over the looming succession. Bhumibol was seen as a vital source of political legitimacy for all sides, and he will be a tough act to follow.

Reporting on the succession or the royal family is limited by strict lèse-majesté laws, which impose harsh sentences on anyone who defames or insults the King or senior royals.

Valmy

I will say nothing bad about this buffoonish king coming to a sham throne while military strongmen dominate his country...in Thailand anyway since I could be arrested.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 15, 2016, 08:14:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2016, 08:12:29 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 15, 2016, 07:54:00 AM
The King's funeral procession. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZnPlnzcgg

Huge crowds.  Even the nurses lined up outside the hospital.

And if they didn't, how long would they stay employed?

Hey, when your ancient monarch finally croaks, you'll have state-decreed mourning as well, so you're not exactly in a position to feel superior.

I remember back in 2000 when the US forced the Swiss banks to settle with the World Jewish Congress in the lawsuit concerning Nazi gold.  Swiss citizens lined the street, crying as they saw their ill-gotten money carried off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2016, 04:10:07 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 15, 2016, 08:14:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2016, 08:12:29 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 15, 2016, 07:54:00 AM
The King's funeral procession. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZnPlnzcgg

Huge crowds.  Even the nurses lined up outside the hospital.

And if they didn't, how long would they stay employed?

Hey, when your ancient monarch finally croaks, you'll have state-decreed mourning as well, so you're not exactly in a position to feel superior.

I remember back in 2000 when forced the Swiss banks to settle with the World Jewish Congress in the lawsuit concerning Nazi gold.  Swiss citizens lined the street, crying as they saw their ill-gotten money carried off.

:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point