So it *is* possible to have too much money

Started by Hamilcar, October 11, 2016, 04:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/simulated-world-elon-musk-the-matrix

Quote:
QuoteAccording to this week's New Yorker profile of Y Combinator venture capitalist Sam Altman, there are two tech billionaires secretly engaging scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation. But what does this mean? And what evidence is there that we are, in fact, living in The Matrix?

Scipio

Oh, look, secularists looking for God.

Yawn.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

After hearing about that I was like hmm...should we really listen to Musk about anything?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2016, 04:49:50 PM
After hearing about that I was like hmm...should we really listen to Musk about anything?

I doubt Musk is one of the two actually funding this enterprise.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 11, 2016, 04:51:16 PM

I don't really have a stance on that but I do have a stance on him talking about such beliefs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2016, 04:56:01 PM

I don't really have a stance on that but I do have a stance on him talking about such beliefs.

Well he pretty much just channels Bostrom, so your quarrel is with him, not Musk. Unless your issue is that tech entrepreneurs shouldn't talk philosophy?

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 11, 2016, 04:58:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2016, 04:56:01 PM

Well he pretty much just channels Bostrom, so your quarrel is with him, not Musk. Unless your issue is that tech entrepreneurs shouldn't talk philosophy?

Well easily it could be both, no? I don't think anyone forces Musk to parrot him, right?

Josquius

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 11, 2016, 04:45:09 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/simulated-world-elon-musk-the-matrix

Quote:
QuoteAccording to this week's New Yorker profile of Y Combinator venture capitalist Sam Altman, there are two tech billionaires secretly engaging scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation. But what does this mean? And what evidence is there that we are, in fact, living in The Matrix?
Its true what they say; capitalism creates useless jobs.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney