News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Firing of Douglas MacArthur

Started by Jacob, October 04, 2016, 03:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Nice post on imgur on his firing and the Congressional hearings that followed: http://imgur.com/gallery/BSAcx

CountDeMoney

Really, Xiacob?  Imgur?  A Buzzfeed poll wasn't available?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2016, 03:50:08 PM

You are just upset it wasn't on Pinterest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2016, 03:50:08 PM

Whatevs... someone shared it, I thought it was interesting, I couldn't be bothered to copy paste the whole damn thing.

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Truman was right!  MacArthur should have been sacked in 1942.  I had a neighbour who was at Bataan.  <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I think it is interesting to note that
QuoteHoyt Vandenberg, the Air Force chief of staff, told the committee that Korea was already claiming a large part of America's available air strength. "The Air Force part that is engaged in Korea is roughly 85 percent—80 to 85 percent—of the tactical capacity of the United States,"

This simply wasn't true, unless he was counting "the tactical capacity of the United States" differently than we normally would, because 11 tactical wings served in Korea at any one time, and 28 were maintained in Europe.

Possibly, he meant the "deployable" forces not dedicated to NATO.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2016, 08:50:45 PM
I think it is interesting to note that
QuoteHoyt Vandenberg, the Air Force chief of staff, told the committee that Korea was already claiming a large part of America's available air strength. "The Air Force part that is engaged in Korea is roughly 85 percent—80 to 85 percent—of the tactical capacity of the United States,"

This simply wasn't true, unless he was counting "the tactical capacity of the United States" differently than we normally would, because 11 tactical wings served in Korea at any one time, and 28 were maintained in Europe.

Possibly, he meant the "deployable" forces not dedicated to NATO.

You think he might have meant mobilized ANG units? 

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2016, 09:06:13 PM
You think he might have meant mobilized ANG units?

That's quite possible.  I know a lot of ANG units were mobilized for Korea, while some Reserve units went to Europe and never saw action.  I remember reading something about resentment that ANG and even recalled vets were getting the combat missions while regulars and reserves were collecting bigger paychecks in Europe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!