News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syt in Rome - 22nd October

Started by Syt, October 04, 2016, 04:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Hit up a local (tourist-free) restaurant.

The Larch

With only one day, and if you're into classical stuff, I'd restrict myself to Colosseum - Imperial Forums - Pantheon - Capitoline Museums (if there's time). The Colosseum on a saturday will be ultra crowded, so consider getting the premium ticket that allows you to jump the queue. Save some time in the evening just to walk around aimlessly around the city center, in the Campo dei Fiori - Piazza Navona - Trevi Fountain - Piazza di Spagna general area. Have a gelatto or several (Giolitti and Della Palma, near the Pantheon - Piazza Colonna, would be my sugestions).

lustindarkness

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 04, 2016, 01:38:31 PM
Hit up a local (tourist-free) restaurant.

This!

Syt, if you are not afraid of lonely out of the way dark alley behind a church: Da Tonino- Trattoria Bassetti, Via del Governo Vecchio, 18, 00186 Roma, Italy

Very Small, very local, not touristy, just enough English to feed you some good food. We were referred by the lady from the bed and breakfast we stayed at.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Even though it's not classical, I think it would be amiss for you to not visit the Capuchin Crypt. It's pretty metal.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on October 04, 2016, 01:46:00 PM
With only one day, and if you're into classical stuff, I'd restrict myself to Colosseum - Imperial Forums - Pantheon - Capitoline Museums (if there's time). The Colosseum on a saturday will be ultra crowded, so consider getting the premium ticket that allows you to jump the queue. Save some time in the evening just to walk around aimlessly around the city center, in the Campo dei Fiori - Piazza Navona - Trevi Fountain - Piazza di Spagna general area. Have a gelatto or several (Giolitti and Della Palma, near the Pantheon - Piazza Colonna, would be my sugestions).

This is what I would do if I had only one day in Rome.  If you're into the renaissance (Huzzah!) and the baroque St. Peters, the Vatican Museum and Castel St. Angelo would be a good day.  If you're really into the baroque then do the Galleria Borghese and see the Bernini square with the fountain of the four rivers.  If you're really into Lovecraft  (:cthulu:) see the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna and witness (what he thought was) the horrors of Futurism (:o :o :o).
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

St. Pete's is extremely impressive.  Tyr's kind of anti-Christian so maybe he should avoid churches.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2016, 06:18:11 PM
St. Pete's is extremely impressive.  Tyr's kind of anti-Christian so maybe he should avoid churches.

St Peter's is perhaps the only part of Rome I didn't care for - just to big and showy.

But I recommend the "just go and find almost any random restaurant" advice - I had some fantastic seafood risotto at a hole the wall Roman restaurant...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Great tips, thanks.  :cool:

I may hang with a colleague or two who also stay there. Our finance head's husband is coming; he's a huge history buff, so it would be fun to explore with him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I like cathedrals. They're the main thing to see in most European cities.
St Peters though despite being the top cathedral isn't actually all that special. Just big
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

It's not a cathedral. :nerd: The enormous gold piece above the alter really impressed me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2016, 03:57:29 AM
St Peters though despite being the top cathedral isn't actually all that special. Just big

Yeah right. It is quite impressive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2016, 11:43:55 PMSt Peter's is perhaps the only part of Rome I didn't care for - just to big and showy.

Too big and showy? Not a fan of the baroque style, I guess.  :P Damned calvinists...

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2016, 04:19:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2016, 03:57:29 AM

Yeah right. It is quite impressive.

Indeed. Just big? St. Pete's has stuff in its tiniest side chapel that would be national treasures almost in any other country in the world.

Pedrito

To all the good suggestions already written, I add:

- Centrale Montemartini: it's an old power station refitted as a roman sculpture museum. Nice contrast of turn-of-the-century dark steel machinery and 2000-years-old marble (if you want a sneak peek, you can watch the first minutes of The Ignorant Faeries, a film by Ferzan Ozpetek. And, after the first minutes, you can stop watching it without regrets :-P)
- Take some time at home to study the Trajan Market beside the Forum, then go visit it; it's a very clever use of an area that was very limited in space, and one of the most interesting showcases of architectural techniques the Romans were masters of.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: