News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syt in Rome - 22nd October

Started by Syt, October 04, 2016, 04:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I will be in Rome on business in two weeks time. Our event is until Friday lunch time, though there might be a few meetings afterwards. I will leave on Sunday afternoon, meaning I have all of Saturday for tourist stuff. This is my first time in Rome.

What's a reasonable program if I'm there just one full day?

I'm mostly interested in antique history. I'm not particularly interested in the Vatican or other renaissance/baroque sights, unless there's something that's MUST SEE you guys recommend.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I guess Baths of Caracalla, Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon.

I would think a trip wouldn't be sound without at least see St. Peter's Cathedral which is much easier to get into than the Vatican. I'd look up online about when's best to go though to beat/manage queue time.

As was mentioned before, skip Circus Maximus. Just a field.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2016, 04:06:07 AM
I will be in Rome on business in two weeks time. Our event is until Friday lunch time, though there might be a few meetings afterwards. I will leave on Sunday afternoon, meaning I have all of Saturday for tourist stuff. This is my first time in Rome.

What's a reasonable program if I'm there just one full day?

I'm mostly interested in antique history. I'm not particularly interested in the Vatican or other renaissance/baroque sights, unless there's something that's MUST SEE you guys recommend.

Well, the Vatican is full of classical goodness so don't write it off immediately.

But, if you only have a single day, I would stick to:

- Pantheon
- Capitoline Museums
- San Clemente (mithraeum)
- Forum Romanum, add Palatine and/or Colosseum if you have time left.

After closing time, walk over the Circus Maximus and back along the Tiber past the Forum Boarium and the two little temples on the river bank. Then on to the theatre of Marcellus, columns of Trajan and Marcus Aurelius and the Mausoleum of Augustus, you can even get a glimpse of the Ara Pacis through the glass wall of the building it's in.

garbon

Oh and Palatine Museum. You can also see Arch of Constantine near the Colosseum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Zanza

St. Peter's Cathedral qualifies as a must-see. It's truly breathtaking and the view from the cupola is very beautiful. Augustus' Mausoleum is nearby for your antique taste.

The Forum and the Capitoline Museums are the best antique sites, followed by Pantheon and Colloseum.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on October 04, 2016, 04:17:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2016, 04:14:49 AM
Palatine Museum.

Really? The old antiquarium?

Ah you are right, I was thinking of the Capitoline Museums but when I quickly typed that in, seemed directly in line with what Syt mentioned. As I recall Capitoline Museums have cool Roman stuff but also mix of era that Syt says he doesn't care that much about.

Syt

Thanks for the tips; I'm not completely against non-antique attractions, so please feel free to recommend, but I'm currently in more of an Ancient Rome mood. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2016, 04:29:22 AM
Thanks for the tips; I'm not completely against non-antique attractions, so please feel free to recommend, but I'm currently in more of an Ancient Rome mood. :)

If you're into late antiquity/early Christianity, add Santa Sabina and Santo Stefano Rotondo to San Clemente.

If you're strapped for time you could skip the Palazzo Nuovo part of the Capitoline Museums, but do take in the view from the Tabularium.

Josquius

The Vatican can be done at night. Its when it looks it's best. The inside is nothing special.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2016, 06:43:23 AM
The Vatican can be done at night. Its when it looks it's best. The inside is nothing special.

Yeah, the Sistine chapel is nothing special. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Visit the Mausoleum of Augustus. Say hi to Livia for me.

If you prefer the Emperor Hadrian you can visit his tomb as well but people keep calling it 'Castel Sant'Angelo' these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2016, 09:30:36 AM
Visit the Mausoleum of Augustus. Say hi to Livia for me.

If you prefer the Emperor Hadrian you can visit his tomb as well but people keep calling it 'Castel Sant'Angelo' these days.

Sad to have a gay lover in denial. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

should you decide to go the Colloseum as well as the forum and Palatine: iirc those three can be done with the same ticket. So it's interesting to get your ticket at either forum or Palatine, rather than standing in line for the colloseum. Cause that is a mighty long line!

The Larch

Even if you're not into Renaissance stuff, St. Peter's sheer awesomeness has to be reckoned with. I mean, christianity split because of the bill!  :P