News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Improving Grammar

Started by Razgovory, October 03, 2016, 10:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

As most of you have noticed, my grammar is atrocious.  I want to remedy this situation but I don't know how.  Any suggestions?  Serious ones, no "go kill yourself" type bullshit. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Grinning_Colossus

Read books by early-mid 20th century British writers until their style becomes something up with which you cannot put.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

Stop paying attention to it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Then stop using it as a coffee cup coaster, and read it.

LaCroix

when you aren't sure of something, google it. grammar girl, etc. are great resources. this beats reading some book

Razgovory

When I was in school they never taught us how to diagram sentences. :(

Grinning_Colossus

This is how you diagram sentences.

Subject?/noun

Verb

Not sure

Secondary subject?/pronoun

Other verb

Definitely object/noun

I'm sure I that learned it at some point, but I forgot it years ago. It doesn't really matter. Grammar only becomes intuitive through repeated exposure, hence the importance of reading books by people whose headmasters would hit them if they misused 'whom.'
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 04, 2016, 08:40:13 AM

I'm sure I that learned it at some point, but I forgot it years ago. It doesn't really matter. Grammar only becomes intuitive through repeated exposure, hence the importance of reading books by people whose headmasters would hit them if they misused 'whom.'

:yes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on October 04, 2016, 08:07:52 AM
when you aren't sure of something, google it. grammar girl, etc. are great resources. this beats reading some book

Don't be a dick.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Razgovory

I was hoping for something interactive.