Interesting Article about Rural Rage in America

Started by Valmy, October 13, 2016, 08:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2016, 04:48:17 PM
Quote from: Scipio on October 17, 2016, 04:42:43 PM
That's because of the farming issue. For decades, farm subsidies were the province of the Democrats. GOP used to rail against them.

But look at Iowa's local politics- pretty right wing.

I've always thought agriculture bills were an evil bipartisan effort between farm state Republicans who liked subsidies and urban Democrats who liked food stamps.

That matches my understanding as well. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2016, 04:48:17 PM
Quote from: Scipio on October 17, 2016, 04:42:43 PM
That's because of the farming issue. For decades, farm subsidies were the province of the Democrats. GOP used to rail against them.

But look at Iowa's local politics- pretty right wing.

I've always thought agriculture bills were an evil bipartisan effort between farm state Republicans who liked subsidies and urban Democrats who liked food stamps.

I'm not sure I see the connection with keeping corn subsidies and food stamps.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2016, 04:14:01 PM

Nah, Trump is pulling a few new voters over.  He's looking like he will win in Iowa, which went Democratic last time around.

IIRC Iowa is aging and so one would expect it to drift (R) as long as that trend holds up.
Right now it's a toss up notwithstanding that trend.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2016, 05:42:29 PMI'm not sure I see the connection with keeping corn subsidies and food stamps.

Need to do something with the surplus production that doesn't suppress prices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2016, 05:42:29 PM

They're both funded through Ag Department appropriations.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2016, 06:04:37 PM

Cheap corn syrup has noticeably slowed America's vitality.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2016, 04:25:39 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on October 17, 2016, 04:15:47 PM
obama had an amazing campaign. I don't think it's fair to call it democrat territory

I looked it up - Iowa has only voted Republican once since 1984.  I think it's safe to call it a blue state.

You looked poorly.  The Republicans hold 5 of 7 statewide offices, both Senate seats, and 3 of the 4 House seats.  The legislature is pretty evenly split (total of 71 Republican and 69 Democratic legislators).  The last 14 presidential elections since 1960 have gone 7 Republican, 7 Democratic.  I think it's safe to call it a Republican-leaning swing state.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Not anymore, what with Yi there now.  Scales: tipped.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2016, 02:28:43 PM
Another, related, take the concerns of Trump voters: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/15/13286498/donald-trump-voters-race-economic-anxiety

Bingo. Trump started his run by calling Mexicans rapists and murderers. He doesn't have any serious policies on the economic matters. It was always about race and bigotry.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2016, 06:04:37 PM

Ah, I see.