Dozens Killed in Renewed Border Clashes in Kashmir

Started by jimmy olsen, September 29, 2016, 05:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Someone should ask Trump about this. I'd love to hear his response.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/29/homepage2/kashmir-pakistani-soliders-killed-india-surgical-strikes/
Kashmir dispute: Two Pakistani soldiers killed after clashes with India

By Sophia Saifi, Huizhong Wu and Ben Westcott, CNN

Updated 0937 GMT (1737 HKT) September 29, 2016
Indian army says it conducted "surgical attacks" along the disputed border

Incident comes less than two weeks after 18 Indian soldiers were killed in an attack

(CNN)Two Pakistani soldiers were killed after an exchange of fire with Indian troops across the de-facto border between the two countries in the disputed region of Kashmir, Pakistan's military said.

The Indian army said it had conducted "surgical attacks" along the disputed border, known as the Line of Control, to foil a "terrorist attack," according to India's Director General of Military Operations.

Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh told reporters on Thursday the strikes had been based on "specific and credible information" that terrorists were planning to carry out strikes in Indian cities, including Jammu.

"The operations were basically focused to ensure that these terrorists do not succeed in their design of infiltration and carrying out destruction and endangering the lives of citizens in our country."

The incident comes less than two weeks after 18 Indian soldiers were killed in an attack by armed militants on an army base in Uri, about 63 miles (102 kilometers) from Srinagar, the capital of Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir.

It was one of the deadliest attacks to take place on an army base in Kashmir since militant attacks began in 1989, and sparked a furious war of words between India and Pakistan.

Pakistan leader slams 'evil designs'

Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack in a statement, calling it "unprovoked and naked aggression" of Indian forces.

He said Pakistan's forces were capable of defending their territory and would stop any "evil design" against their country.

Pakistan's Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said their army had responded in a "befitting" manner.

"If India tries to do this again we will respond forcefully. India is doing this only to please their media and public," he said.
CNN's Sophia Saifi reported from Islamabad and Huizhong Wu reported from New Delhi
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Why would they be fighting over a sweater?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2016, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2016, 07:33:35 AM
Why would they be fighting over a sweater?

Or that mediocre Led Zeppelin song.

Or one of the better Danish indie rock bands.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Indians claim to have killed 38 Pakistanis.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/defence/4-hours-choppers-and-38-kills-how-india-avenged-the-uri-attack/articleshow/54579855.cms

Quote4 hours, choppers and 38 kills: How India avenged the Uri attack
By ECONOMICTIMES.COM | 29 Sep, 2016, 18:10 hrs IST

Nearly 10 days after the Uri attack that claimed 18 jawans, India carried out surgical strikes in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, inflicting heavy casualties on terrorists and 'those protecting them" and indicating a change of stand on the rules of engagement on the disputed line of control.

Indian DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh announced that Pakistan had been informed about the strikes and that India has no intention of continuing the operations but is ready for any reaction from the Pak side.

The response, first of its kind across the Pakistani border during peace time, was based on specific intelligence, claim reports.
Download best news app - Now in 11 languages!
Ad News Point

Also Read: A detailed coverage of India's response to Pakistan

Here's what happened in 4 hours, according to reports:

1. Operation begins around 12.30 am on Wednesday. According to reports, paratroopers from Special Forces were involved.

2. The commandos were airdropped at the LoC, from where they crossed over to the Pakistani side.

3. According to sources, Indian commandos entered three kilometres across the Line of Control to conduct the 'surgical strikes'

4. The strikes were carried out in Bhimber, Hotspring, Kel & Lipa sectors, on Pak's side of LoC, according to reports.

5. The location was 500 meters-2 Km across LoC, sources said

6. 7 terror launch pads were destroyed during the surgical strike

7. 38 terrorists and 2 Pakistani soldiers were killed in Indian Army surgical strikes, no Indian casualties. Those killed included terrorists, their guides and handlers

8. Helicopters were used. Mission, according to reports, ended at 4.30 am

Why did India go for this
The option of surgical strikes was taken in the wake of increase in infiltration bids , the DGMO informed. Terrorists had begun gathering in large numbers along the LoC with the objective of crossing the border and targeting locations in Jammu and Kashmir, as well as other metros. In such a scenario surgical strikes was considered the best option to deal with the threat.

Surgical strikes does not mean war
Surgical strikes are military operations undertaken by forces across the world to move on the offensive, hit enemy targets and installations, and return to primary positions, all with lightening speed and with the added precaution of suffering limited casualty.

Surgical strikes require not just detailed and exhaustive planning but need to be carried out with absolute precision to achieve the objective of taking down targets with either no or minimal collateral damage.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

I was in J&K a month ago. The region is extremely militarized. The conflict also seems very silly to an outsider, especially the area of the Siachen glacier, where more than 1000 soldiers died from exposure over the last thirty years to guard a wasteland at 20,000 feet altitude.