Space X announces 42-engine reusable rocket

Started by Jacob, September 28, 2016, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 03:35:33 PM
Did you think something like the discrediting of earthly empires would stop humanity's eternal need to colonize? Hell no. Watch out universe.

But who would want to live there? I get why people would want to be the first to go there, the desire to explore, etc, but to actually colonize it and have people live there permanently? I don't see it.

Earth won't sustain human life in a few billion years. We need to act early.

Seriously, it is true that the missions to the Moon or Mars seem to lack real purpose other than achieving a successful landing.
To rent

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Rex Francorum on June 19, 2017, 11:41:02 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 03:35:33 PM
Did you think something like the discrediting of earthly empires would stop humanity's eternal need to colonize? Hell no. Watch out universe.

But who would want to live there? I get why people would want to be the first to go there, the desire to explore, etc, but to actually colonize it and have people live there permanently? I don't see it.

Earth won't sustain human life in a few billion years. We need to act early.

Seriously, it is true that the missions to the Moon or Mars seem to lack real purpose other than achieving a successful landing.

Bezos and Musk definitely have huge long term plans.

Musk wants to build a sustainable civilization on Mars.

Bezos wants to move industry into cislunar space, colonize the orbitals and monopilze the resources of near Earth asteroids.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I'm still not seeing what is economical about a city on Mars.  Cities tend to be built near places where there are natural resources or areas of easy transportation.  This is like building a city in the middle of Baffin Island without the benefit of air.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

This is stupid.  NASA should be doing all this.

Oh wait, I forgot.  Government performing in the name of the national interest sucks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2017, 12:17:32 AM

Bezos wants to move industry into cislunar space, colonize the orbitals and monopilze the resources of near Earth asteroids.

The fact that two billionaires have vanity projects and are trying to raise money from similarly-minded idle rich does not address the question of what the fuck the point would be for the rest of us.

Eddie Teach

Must there be a point for us? I'm not investing anything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 20, 2017, 05:18:58 PM
Must there be a point for us? I'm not investing anything.

Timmy has talked before about public funding for building Muskville on Mars.

Valmy

Do we need a reason to expand our stellar colonial empire? Pity about the lack of natives to exploit though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 04:57:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2017, 12:17:32 AM

The fact that two billionaires have vanity projects and are trying to raise money from similarly-minded idle rich does not address the question of what the fuck the point would be for the rest of us.
Is this a serious question? The first men and the first nation that effectively exploits the resources of the solar system will grow fabulously wealthy. That's like asking "what's the point of these rich merchants investing in steam engines to the rest of us" in the mid18th century.

Cheap platinum group metals and rare earth minerals will lower the cost of electronics and many industrial devices, and allow engineers to design and build many technological advances that rely on those materials being cheap. As a bonus, mining in space has none of the enviornmentally harmful effects that mining on earth does.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
As a bonus, mining in space has none of the enviornmentally harmful effects that mining on earth does.

:lol: I'm sure environmental groups are gonna fully agree. They don't even think we have the right to fuck up our own planet, surely they'll love for us to rape space.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.