News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languishing Dead (DoW Forum Game)

Started by Habbaku, September 16, 2016, 08:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Introduction to game, etc., begins later in the post.  The start of this post will contain relevant Colony information for the players.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xtcwnq7rbzp3vyr/AACAPgWnf8LT3TPuQExy8Anca?dl=0

Dropbox link above for all public game pictures.

Colony Morale: 5
Rounds Remaining: 5

Current Crisis: Crisis2
Crisis Contribution: 5 cards.

Player 1: Garbon  Survivors: Felicia Day (w/Colt 1911), Brian Lee First Player Knife
Player 2: Beeb Survivors: Ashley Ross, Sophie Robinson (1 wound)
Player 3: Berkut Survivors: Edward White (1 Frostbite wound), Thomas Heart
Player 4: Tamas Survivors: Arthur Thurston, Mike Cho (1 wound)
Player 5: Celedhring Survivors: Rod Miller, Alexis Grey (w/A Journey in Jazzercise)

Zombies:
Colony Position 1: 1, 1 barricade
Colony Position 2: 1 barricade
Colony Position 3: 1
Colony Position 4: 0
Colony Position 5: 1
Colony Position 6: 2

Non-Colony Police Station: 1 zombie, Mike Cho, 1 Noise token
Non-Colony Grocery Store: 1 zombie
Non-Colony School: Sophie Robinson
Non-Colony Library: 1 zombie, Alexis Grey
Non-Colony Hospital: 0
Non-Colony Gas Station: Felicia Day, Edward White

Food Supply: 3
Waste Pile: 5 (4 Food 1s, 1 Medicine)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/150376/dead-winter-crossroads-game

QuoteDead of Winter is a meta-cooperative psychological survival game. This means players are working together toward one common victory condition — but for each individual player to achieve victory, he must also complete his personal secret objective. This secret objective could relate to a psychological tick that's fairly harmless to most others in the colony, a dangerous obsession that could put the main objective at risk, a desire for sabotage of the main mission, or (worst of all) vengeance against the colony! Certain games could end with all players winning, some winning and some losing, or all players losing. Work toward the group's goal, but don't get walked all over by a loudmouth who's looking out only for his own interests!

Dead of Winter is an experience that can be accomplished only through the medium of tabletop games. It's a story-centric game about surviving through a harsh winter in an apocalyptic world. The survivors are all dealing with their own psychological imperatives, but must still find a way to work together to fight off outside threats, resolve crises, find food and supplies, and keep the colony's morale up.

Dead of Winter has players making frequent, difficult, heavily- thematic, wildly-varying decisions that often have them deciding between what is best for the colony and what is best for themselves.

For those unfamiliar with the game, read above!

Per Tamas' suggestion, I will try my hand at running something other than Republic of Rome via Languish.  Dead of Winter is an excellent game with a lot of hidden information and a need for knife's-edge balance between the players.  You will constantly have to be on the lookout for sabotage from both the dice and your fellow players in order to win the game and complete your personal objectives.

Since I will be running the game proper, I'd like to line up 5 players so that I don't have to figure out how to keep everything hidden from myself.  There are, however, some pre-requisites to playing.  You must be willing to post your move within 24 hours to keep things moving.  You must be willing to actively engage in game discussion in this very thread between players (strategy discussion is very common at the table with this game, as is the inevitable accusation of being a Betrayer).  Lastly, you must use this thread for communication, and not sneak off to PMs as that ruins the spirit of the game.

Within those constraints...we probably have room for 3 more people, assuming both Tamas and Celedhring from the other thread would like a priority seat at the table.

I'll be back late in the afternoon or on my phone where able to answer any questions--feel free to ask!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

I'd be down to play (as I always love these working together but possible not games) and I've no travel for quite sometime. So no excuses not to be able to post a move within 24 hours!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

celedhring

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2016, 09:05:19 AM
I am in.

Quote from: HabbakuYou must be willing to post your move within 24 hours to keep things moving.

:hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I might skip a day during weekends, since I'm sometimes not near a computer. Other than that I should be a good soldier and post moves as requested.

Habbaku

As far as posting moves goes, you often only have to instruct me as to what you are doing.  I can handle the dice rolls and grittier side of things.

In addition, aside from discussions that must take place out in the open, I could also handle sending plays in via texts.  Everyone carries a smartphone these days, right?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Anyone else wish to join in before I kick things off?  We still have space for one more.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

I'm interested. :)

I know I have flaked on a game before, but I've also seen a few games through to completion as well.

Can't promise 24 hour turn around without fail, but generally that is pretty do-able.  If you'll have me let me know what I need to read up on and download.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

As long as turnaround time is mostly consistent with 24 hours and you're active with the group discussions here, that won't be a problem, Beeb.  You're very welcome to join.  I understand that people have commitments beyond a little zombie survival game.   :)

The rules can be found here: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/rules.pdf

An excellent rules summary/FAQ can be found here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/t3djfoa33r/DeadofWinter_v1.2.pdf

I would suggest giving the rules a quick read, then just walking through the sequence of play a couple of times.  It might seem like a lot, but if you played Succession Wars, this is a trivial game to learn.

I will be using/posting pictures from the Vassal module located here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Dead_of_Winter:_A_Crossroads_Game

Since we have our five, I figure I'll look to start us up during the weekend to give everyone a proper chance to read the rules?  I may go ahead and get started a little faster than that, but please do not feel pressure to go as fast as possible for the first round of play--I know people will be learning ramifications of their actions and getting used to the general flow of play.

On that note...if you have any strategy questions, I'm happy to point out things as they come up, and I'll probably provide general commentary over the course of the game as to how I think you guys are doing without giving anything away.  Other than that...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Alright, I read through the rules over a couple times this past weekend.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quotemeta-cooperative psychological survival game

Aaaaand...Marti just lost. LOL, "surwiwal"

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien