Deceased man wins Republican primary for New York state assembly

Started by Syt, September 15, 2016, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/14/bill-nojay-republican-new-york-state-assembly-win

QuoteDeceased man wins Republican primary for New York state assembly

Bill Nojay, incumbent in the 133rd district, fatally shot himself last week
Republican's name still appeared on ballot and he beat opponent Rick Milne

A man who recently died won the Republican primary for state assembly in a northern New York district on Tuesday.

Although uncommon, this was by no means the first time American voters have cast their ballots for the deceased.

Bill Nojay, 59, the incumbent in the 133rd district near Rochester, fatally shot himself last Friday, the New York Times reported. His name still appeared on the primary ballot and he beat his opponent, Rick Milne, the mayor of Honeoye Falls.

Now that Nojay has won, a successor must be chosen within 10 days of his death by the chairmen of the Republican parties in Monroe, Steuben and Livingston counties, which make up New York's 133rd district. That person will go on to face Democrat Barbara Baer, a lawyer and social worker who is running unopposed, in the general election.

Lowell Conrad, the chairman of the Livingston County Republican party, told the Times he hoped to find someone "as close to him as possible, philosophically" to take Nojay's place.

The incumbent assemblyman was an early supporter of Donald Trump's presidential run and urged him to run for New York governor as a path to the White House in 2013, according to the Times. Nojay was later a co-chairman of Trump's New York campaign committee.

The Hornell Republican committee had previously endorsed Nojay. Despite his death, they encouraged citizens to cast their vote for him on Facebook. A page for Nojay's campaign asked voters to honor the assemblyman's memory by voting for him one last time. While one voter expressed discomfort with the "idea of casting a ballot for someone to be named later", the few other online commenters said they would vote for Nojay.

"Asking people to vote for Mr Nojay, I don't believe that's truly being done to memorialize the person; I believe it's because they want to get their own local person elected," Milne told the Times of his opponent on Monday.

Both local and national elections have seen politicians elected posthumously. In 1962 in California, congressman Clement Miller who died in a plane crash was reelected to the House of Representatives, according to the Washington Post. In 1972, congressmen Nick Begich and Hale Boggs vanished in a plane in Alaska and won their reelections. Former Missouri governor Mel Carnahan won the US Senate race in his state in 2000, though he died in a plane crash. Congresswoman Patsy Mink won re-election in Hawaii in 2002 after she died from pneumonia. Local officials have been elected in Missouri, Washington state, Tennessee, Florida and Alabama despite having passed away before the election. Their posts were filled by appointments or special elections.

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reported that Nojay was scheduled to appear in court on Friday on fraud-related charges over his handling of a trust fund as an attorney. Additionally, he was "a silent partner in a company that won a tentative contract to oversee the second phase of the $1.3bn Rochester schools modernization project" and involved in a separate fraud trial in Cambodia, the paper wrote.

Nojay had a lengthy local political history and was also the host of his own radio show, an attorney and a small-business owner, according to his biography. According to the Associated Press, he was "critical of the state legislature, where he had limited influence in the Democratic-dominated assembly" and "claimed too little was being done to help upstate New York". He was also an advocate of gun rights and an opponent of abortion, the Associated Press wrote.

The Rochester native had graduate degrees in law and business from Columbia University and was once a research fellow at Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu, Nepal. He and his wife had three children. His funeral will be held on Friday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Too bad he wasn't running in the Presidential Republican primary.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

There was a senate race not long ago where a dude died and he still got elected. I think it was too late to change the name on the ballot, and people didn't want his opponent to win.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on September 15, 2016, 09:48:32 AM
There was a senate race not long ago where a dude died and he still got elected. I think it was too late to change the name on the ballot, and people didn't want his opponent to win.

We did that back in 2000.  His widow filled the seat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Yeah, so Dubya made him Attorney General of the United States instead.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2016, 06:03:15 AM

Yeah, so Dubya made him Attorney General of the United States instead.

God I hated that man.  State workers didn't get a raise during his entire tenure as governor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Ashcroft did something so typically American. While he was in State government he was passionately pro-State. Then we joined the Feds and became passionately pro-Fed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Archy

Only fair if deceased can vote they should be able to stand for office also.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2016, 08:58:18 AM
Ashcroft did something so typically American. While he was in State government he was passionately pro-State. Then we joined the Feds and became passionately pro-Fed.

I dunno, man.  Seemed to me he tried to make it as pro-Sunday School as possible.