8 (18.2%)
Colin who?
12 (27.3%)
An overrated option QB:  NCAA legs, no NFL arm
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on September 17, 2016, 12:45:45 PM
Apologies if this has already been brought up. Why do we have to play the national anthem at sporting events and why does everybody have to stand up? Serious question.

Surely the US is not the only country in the world where people are expected to stand during the national anthem?

alfred russel

Apologies if this has already been brought up. Why do we have to play the national anthem at sporting events and why does everybody have to stand up? Serious question.

It is played because it started in WWII, and never stopped.

People have to stand up because otherwise people will heckle you if you don't and it will be really awkward the rest of the game as people treat you with disdain and ask if you are with the terrorists (rhetorically, they have decided you are).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2016, 02:38:39 PM

It is played because it started in WWII, and never stopped.

People have to stand up because otherwise people will heckle you if you don't and it will be really awkward the rest of the game as people treat you with disdain and ask if you are with the terrorists (rhetorically, they have decided you are).

Glad to see you were paying attention :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2016, 01:14:42 PM

Surely the US is not the only country in the world where people are expected to stand during the national anthem?

In Europe, national anthems are definitely played during international soccer games, not sure how common it is to do so during national games. People are expected to stand up, whether it is France, Poland or the UK.

You Yanks are weird with this thing. On one hand you have this really extreme flag waving patriotism, which can make most Euros uneasy at times. On the other hand, you also have this tradition of burning the national flag or shitting on the national anthem, which most Euros would find awkward (or illegal) too. Surely, there are better ways to protest, especially when you live in a country with a rule of law.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on September 18, 2016, 11:21:43 AM

In Europe, national anthems are definitely played during international soccer games, not sure how common it is to do so during national games. People are expected to stand up, whether it is France, Poland or the UK.

You Yanks are weird with this thing. On one hand you have this really extreme flag waving patriotism, which can make most Euros uneasy at times. On the other hand, you also have this tradition of burning the national flag or shitting on the national anthem, which most Euros would find awkward (or illegal) too. Surely, there are better ways to protest, especially when you live in a country with a rule of law.

Euros just don't get Freedom of Speech, do they?

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 18, 2016, 12:13:47 PM

Eventually we will allow their scribes to marvel at our sophistication.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

American Patriotism has traditionally been conditional.  Trump's brand of Nationalism is more in line with how Euros think, which is I suppose why you and legbiter are attracted to such displays.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

For all that we share some basic beliefs, Europeans and Americans have many areas in which understanding is difficult without making an effort.  Some Americans have this wacky idea about patriotism and how you should show it, some Europeans have this wacky idea about the antisemitism and how you should show it. 

Protesters in America who want to shock public opinion to get attention burn the flag.  Protesters in Europe who want to shock public opinion to get attention don the swastika.  I'll take the American method, because it terrifies fewer people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

He's a douche but has the right to do what he did.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2016, 12:53:45 PM

American Patriotism has traditionally been conditional.  Trump's brand of Nationalism is more in line with how Euros think, which is I suppose why you and legbiter are attracted to such displays.

This is actually a pretty insightful observation. Well done, Raz.

The Minsky Moment

No they don't, but to be fair, neither do many Americans.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2016, 06:48:17 PM

No they don't, but to be fair, neither do many Americans.

Americans don't need to understand it, so long as  they capitalize it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Kap should have husbanded his public image and not endangered any future endorsement deals. He can easily give all that money to BLM or any other cause he wants.

How much is Manning making for these bathrobe commercials? If Kap retires with this image, he won't get those deals. From that perspective you could say it was a very self-sacrificial thing. And probably not a very effective one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

I don't know how you can argue it wasn't effective. It seems like it was radically more effective than he could have possibly expected.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2016, 01:29:12 PM
Kap should have husbanded his public image and not endangered any future endorsement deals. He can easily give all that money to BLM or any other cause he wants.

How much is Manning making for these bathrobe commercials? If Kap retires with this image, he won't get those deals. From that perspective you could say it was a very self-sacrificial thing. And probably not a very effective one.

He wasn't going to get any endorsement deals anyways.  He just wasn't that good or that popular to begin with.

If anything this controversy has increased his name recognition and makes an endorsement deal more likely.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.