A douchebag
8 (18.2%)
Colin who?
12 (27.3%)
An overrated option QB:  NCAA legs, no NFL arm
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Martinus

Since my Mother Theresa thread was such a success...

alfred russel

A few weeks ago I never would have guessed that Martinus would be starting a thread on Colin Kaepernick. A couple years ago I never would have guessed he would be a backup QB in 2016 (without a major injury, at least).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

For once I voted truthfully in a Languish poll.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 14, 2016, 05:14:37 PM
A few weeks ago I never would have guessed that Martinus would be starting a thread on Colin Kaepernick. A couple years ago I never would have guessed he would be a backup QB in 2016 (without a major injury, at least).

I guess I should unsubscribe from the O'Reilly Factor then. :(

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2016, 05:21:55 PM

Why are you subscribed to the O'Reilly Factor?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: mongers on September 14, 2016, 05:15:51 PM
For once I voted truthfully in a Languish poll.  :hmm:

You voted "Colin who", didn't you.  :)

derspiess

He seems to be a mentally unstable guy who's also a bit of a weasel and a jerk but he's getting too much attention, both positive and negative.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Voted "Colin who" and googled him afterwards. So it's some dude that doesn't sit down when the US anthem gets played? Big deal.

Eddie Teach

I voted for the choice CD added.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Nothing I say here is going to surprise any of you I bet :P

As you know, I support police reform in regards to this issue so I was at first glad to see him do what he did. However, as always, he phrased it vaguely and militantly. So what he is actually asking for and what needs to happen in order for him to stand again for the anthem I have no idea.

It is sort of like this 'bringing awareness' type business where he is going to kneel until somebody else does something instead of demanding some kind of reform or action.

Like maybe he might demand the city of San Francisco commit to a program that adopts de-escalation tactics and maybe holds up some other community as a model and pledges to stop his protest once he sees some action or something. Other NFL players might do so to encourage similar programs in their cities. It could be constructive.

I just get so frustrated with this kind of thing. It seems designed to make everybody feel extremely helpless and angry and not actually achieve anything. Even though I agree with the cause. So no wonder all it has done is generate memes and internet chatter for the past few weeks. No other action is recommended.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 06:11:32 PM
Nothing I say here is going to surprise any of you I bet :P

As you know, I support police reform in regards to this issue so I was at first glad to see him do what he did. However, as always, he phrased it vaguely and militantly. So what he is actually asking for and what needs to happen in order for him to stand again for the anthem I have no idea.

It is sort of like this 'bringing awareness' type business where he is going to kneel until somebody else does something instead of demanding some kind of reform or action.

Like maybe he might demand the city of San Francisco commit to a program that adopts de-escalation tactics and maybe holds up some other community as a model and pledges to stop his protest once he sees some action or something. Other NFL players might do so to encourage similar programs in their cities. It could be constructive.

I just get so frustrated with this kind of thing. It seems designed to make everybody feel extremely helpless and angry and not actually achieve anything. Even though I agree with the cause. So no wonder all it has done is generate memes and internet chatter for the past few weeks. No other action is recommended.

So you voted the 2nd option?

Valmy

Basically. Though he might be a total tool for all I know. Not an endorsement of him personally.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Like Valmy said, he doesn't seem to have thought out the end game.  He's certainly within his rights, and I support him for eh, sitting down for what he believes in.  Would probably have more bite, show business being what it is, if he weren't riding the pine.

On a tangent, Niners look pretty stupid for letting that other QB go.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 14, 2016, 05:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2016, 05:21:55 PM

Why are you subscribed to the O'Reilly Factor?

I like Bill O'Reilly. Him and Bill Maher are my two main sources on American politics.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien