Who is the best leader your country never had?

Started by Barrister, September 14, 2016, 03:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 03:55:43 PM
No idea. I mean sure there have been a couple elections where I felt the country got it wrong, 1992 and 2000 stick out, but I don't know if any of those really fill me with angst.

I mean Dewey and Stevenson were great in their other public contributions but I don't know if they really would have been great Presidents.

I dunno - do you really think that you'd be better off with President Al Gore?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 04:17:18 PM
No idea. I mean sure there have been a couple elections where I felt the country got it wrong, 1992 and 2000 stick out, but I don't know if any of those really fill me with angst.

I mean Dewey and Stevenson were great in their other public contributions but I don't know if they really would have been great Presidents.

Yes. But as I said I don't think we missed some great leader there. I was more taken with Lieberman than I was with Gore to be honest. I was disappointed but not nearly as disappointed as I was in 1992. I truly thought we were fucked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 04:13:58 PM
Hey are you guys listening the Mike Duncan's Latin American Revolution series? I loved the line that Bolivar was the only one to not support Ferdinand in Venezuela during Ferdinand's captivity in the Napoleonic Wars because he was the only one who had actually met Ferdinand.

Still going through the French Revolution. Actually just listened to the one dealing with the Battle of Valmy today.  :frog:

Fernando VII was the terriblest Spanish king, but it probably wasn't politically feasible to change dynasty or go with a Republic at the time. There's always the "meh, we should have let the French win" debate.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Ferdinand could have been bullied into accepting the Constitution of 1812 though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2016, 04:22:59 PM
Goldwater.

:hug:

Would have been very interesting to see how he'd have dealt with all the social unrest of the late 1960s, but everything I've read about him he seemed like a very honourable man.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 04:25:17 PM
Goldwater.

:hug:

Would have been very interesting to see how he'd have dealt with all the social unrest of the late 1960s, but everything I've read about him he seemed like a very honourable man.

The anti-Civil Rights stuff makes me think he probably was the wrong man for the times. But hey at least no little girls were nuked :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Goldwater.

He would have never won because Kennedy had just been offed and the people's sympathy was with the democrats.

The only thing we got was that excellent speech by Ronald Reagan. A time of choosing.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on September 14, 2016, 04:28:59 PM

He would have never won because Kennedy had just been offed and the people's sympathy was with the democrats.

You think? Though come to think of it having a President shot has done the party in question some political good election-wise for awhile. Well except for Garfield.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2016, 04:27:40 PM
Stephen Douglas /ducks

His inspirational leadership passing the suicide pact known as the Compromise of 1850 was pretty awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 04:24:13 PM
Ferdinand could have been bullied into accepting the Constitution of 1812 though.

Not really, the liberals had little factual power at the time. Such a pity, Spain's biggest historical missed opportunity.

The second biggest was when a few years later the liberals *did* have enough power to reinstate the 1812 Constitution and we got invaded by France to restore absolutist power. Thanks for that.

dps

Quote from: Berkut on September 14, 2016, 03:58:51 PM
McCain in 2000.

You bring a whole other dimension to the discussion when you include people who ran in the primaries but didn't get the nomination.  I'll stick to just the general election results.

It's a tougher question than I originally thought, given the qualifiers put on it.   I think the election in my lifetime we most clearly got "wrong" was 1992, but since Bush the Elder had already been President, it doesn't count for purposes of this thread.  Oddly, most of the other elections that sprang to my mind have a similar problem--1912, 1888, 1840, 1800 (1840 might not be in the running if Harrison hadn't died, leaving us with Tyler).

Otherwise--hmm.  I'm inclined to think that Goldwater would have been a better President that Johnson, but I'm not certain of that.  Dewy I think would have been a good President, but I have a hard time seeing him as being better than Truman.  McCain?  I don't know;  I've never been a McCain fan, and except for Obamacare, Obama hasn't been nearly as bad as I feared he would be (granting that that's a big "except").  All things considered, I think I'd go with James Cox.  I know next to nothing about him or his policies, but it's hard to see how he'd not have been better than Harding.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 04:17:18 PM

:huh: How can that even be a question?  You don't have to be that good to be better than a man who committed the worst geopolitical blunder in the country's history.