Who is the best leader your country never had?

Started by Barrister, September 14, 2016, 03:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2016, 07:46:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 04:17:18 PM
I dunno - do you really think that you'd be better off with President Al Gore?
:huh: How can that even be a question?  You don't have to be that good to be better than a man who committed the worst geopolitical blunder in the country's history.

Yeah...they're always going to buy that storyline. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 03:49:43 PM
Somewhat inspired by Raz's thread (Your ideal politician), but more grounded in reality.

What's the one election you really think your country got wrong?  Who, with hindsight, would have been a far better national leader than the person who was elected?
Harper should have won once more :(

Seriously, one who has never been elected to the office before? hmm.  Hard to tell.  Most Canadian Prime Ministers were horribly bad for Quebec, but most of the opposition leaders were just as bad.  So I don't know.
I think Joe Clark would have been a very fine Prime Minister if he had been in office for longer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2016, 08:54:00 PM
Good call.  This is what I was going to say.

He doesn't die, the '68 DNC's not a mess, a reelection in '72, the Democratic Party is not only stabilized, it becomes even more solidified and ensconced than ever.

No Nixon, no Watergate, no Jimmy Carter, no '76 Reagan Revolt or '80 Reagan Revolution.  Hell, possibly no disco.

11B4V

:lol:

I thought that was a picture of Ho Chi Mingh
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Caliga

A couple of times during this election cycle, I've thought of RFK's speech about Martin Luther King's death, and then about pretty much everything that Donald Trump says, and think "How could we have gone from that to this?" :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 14, 2016, 08:33:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2016, 03:49:43 PM
Somewhat inspired by Raz's thread (Your ideal politician), but more grounded in reality.

What's the one election you really think your country got wrong?  Who, with hindsight, would have been a far better national leader than the person who was elected?
Harper should have won once more :(

Seriously, one who has never been elected to the office before? hmm.  Hard to tell.  Most Canadian Prime Ministers were horribly bad for Quebec, but most of the opposition leaders were just as bad.  So I don't know.
I think Joe Clark would have been a very fine Prime Minister if he had been in office for longer.

Well the couple of names that came to my mind were, of course, Preston Manning :wub: but also Robert Stanfield.  Far too red toryish for my liking (he campaigned on wage and price controls in '72 for pete's sake), but he would have saved us from Trudeau Sr.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

don't really know Robert Stanfield.  Preston Manning kept referring to Quebecers as "seperatist devils" so, no, not for me, sorry.  Besides, I would never vote for a PM who is not bilingual to run a bilingual country.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Archy

All Dutch kings and prime ministers since 1830  ;)