News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Ideal Politican.

Started by Razgovory, September 14, 2016, 12:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Lot's of people have expressed dissatisfaction with the current Presidential candidates, so I'm curious what folks here think is the "Ideal politician".

For me, it's a wheeler and dealer, a backroom negotiator and a frankly dull bureaucrat.  I dislike flashiness which I often associate with vanity, which is in my opinion, a one the most severe handicaps a politician can have.  Honestly is important, but not as important as you might think.  A politician needs to be able to lie.  There also needs to be certain ruthlessness, particularly in foreign affairs.  Inflexibility is not a desirable trait.  Certainly, a politician needs to stand strong at certain times, but at others, they must be willing to bend.  It's fine for a politician to have strong ideas, but it's okay to sacrifice some of them to achieve others.  Getting 40% of what you want is much better than getting 0% and remaining pure.  Another trait is a person who not particularly interested in what the public thinks.  This may seem odd, but people often want stupid and contradictory things.

As it happens I rather like Hilary Clinton, who actually fits much of this criteria.  She is a dull but competent bureaucrat and an able backroom politician.  I never really cared for Obama, who always struck me as the "Cool professor" type.  If you guys recall my favorite candidate in 2008 was Bill Richardson.  I am at heart a person who believe in Evolution rather than Revolution.

What about the rest of you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

You want a Machiavellian politician?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2016, 12:24:08 PM
For me, it's a wheeler and dealer, a backroom negotiator and a frankly dull bureaucrat.  I dislike flashiness which I often associate with vanity, which is in my opinion, a one the most severe handicaps a politician can have.
That reminded me of this politician...

Zanza

I am pretty sure what Ed's answer will be.

Drakken

Valmy

There are plenty of politicians whose way of leading I really admire, even if I don't necessarily endorse all their policies. Like Genghis Khan. Ok just kidding. Like Eisenhower for example.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2016, 12:30:53 PM
I am pretty sure what Ed's answer will be.

Could be Hitler or Sulla.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on September 14, 2016, 12:33:20 PM
Sideshow Bob for Mayor.

Mayor Quimby supports revolving door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob. A man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 12:38:00 PM
Quote from: Drakken on September 14, 2016, 12:33:20 PM
Sideshow Bob for Mayor.

Mayor Quimby supports revolving door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob. A man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor.

I am presently incarcerated, imprisoned for a crime I did not even commit. "Attempted murder," now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"

mongers

A politician whom Raz would like?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Better luck next time Rand. Hell the way things are going I may vote for you.

I kind of expect the populist nuts and the Bernie Bros to take over for awhile regardless of how this election goes :weep:

Hey that rhymes!

Monoriu

The ideal world is one where no citizen is willing to vote or to run in elections.  When all mighty god asks "who wants to be king?", everybody looks elsewhere and is too scared to say anything.  Wherever god's gaze goes, people run in terror. 

The ideal politician is one who very reluctantly raises his hand and mutters in a voice that is barely audible, and says that he is willing to take the burden.  Upon hearing the news, the entire population erupts in joy, thanks the politician, forgets about politics, and lives happily ever after. 

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on September 14, 2016, 03:49:42 PM
The ideal politician is one who very reluctantly raises his hand and mutters in a voice that is barely audible, and says that he is willing to take the burden.  Upon hearing the news, the entire population erupts in joy, thanks the politician, forgets about politics, and lives happily ever after. 

So Coolidge then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall