Blizzard's Chris Metzen retires at ripe age of 42

Started by Syt, September 13, 2016, 06:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-legend-chris-metzen-has-announced-his-retirement/?utm_content=buffer927d1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

QuoteBlizzard legend Chris Metzen has announced his retirement

Chris Metzen, Senior VP of Story and Franchise Development at Blizzard, has announced his retirement from the company after 23 years. As one of the most public-facing figures at the studio, Metzen is known for his work across the Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft series', and also served as creative director on Overwatch.

Metzen announced the move in a blogpost on the battle.net forums. "For nearly twenty-three years I've had the very distinct privilege of shaping worlds and building games with the brightest creative minds in entertainment," Metzen wrote. "I've walked with giants (and stood on some giants' shoulders, too). In short, I've had the time of my life."

The amicable departure is not, apparently, in preparation for a new career move. Metzen is really retiring. "The reason I use the word 'retire' is because I'm not going to some other company or starting up new projects or anything remotely like that," he wrote. "It's been a long, amazing stretch of years. Now it's time to slow it down. Rest. Lay around on the couch and get fat. Well, fatter...

"Seriously though, I'll be focusing on the one thing that matters most to me in all the world—my family. They're the core of my life and the source of my deepest joy and inspiration."

Metzen leaves at a pretty good time for Blizzard: Overwatch is burning along just fine, and World of Warcraft's Legion expansion has been well-received.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

That's my planned retirement age too, though I'm sure his financial situation makes it more realistic than mine. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

My guess is that he'll get itchy feet and be back at it in a few years.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

He'll do something else just like the Doctors of Bioware are doing now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

LaCroix

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2016, 08:07:30 AM

Aren't they brewing craft beer or something now?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 09:42:47 AM

Yes, I think so.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2016, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 09:42:47 AM

Yes, I think so.

Basically a hobby. They are no longer feeling pain. The pain of dealing with Bioware's toxic and psychotic fanbase anyway. I know the rather over-the-top response to Dragon Age II killed their enthusiasm.

Grey Fox

Everything is a hobby when you are wealthy like those guys but it is still not retirement.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2016, 09:55:30 AM
Everything is a hobby when you are wealthy like those guys but it is still not retirement.

Of course it is. There must be a huge qualitative difference between doing a work/business just for the heck of it because your finances are sorted for life, or because you and your family face an uncertain future if you don't

Phillip V

Quote from: Liep on September 13, 2016, 06:48:42 AM
That's my planned retirement age too, though I'm sure his financial situation makes it more realistic than mine. :(

What is Metzen's net worth, and how old is his wife?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.