News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dystopiathon

Started by mongers, September 10, 2016, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

We're into the final two months of the US presidential race, elsewhere in the world Stupid seems to be on the march, so what film, tv and other media do you recommend to get one in the mood for this crazy future?

Tonight I'm kicking off the marathon with 'Soylent Green'.   :)

Aiming to finish this media binge in late January 2016, I'm giving both candidates a fortnight of grace and am assuming neither will kick off a new war within the first two weeks.   :hmm:

But who knows what mr Putin or Erdogan might do during the hiatus?   <_<

Do you have any good viewing, reading or listening recommendation for the dystopaithon?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Americathon.

All signs point to a shitty future, but also a farcical one.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

citizen k

Read "Radio Free Albemuth" by Philip K. Dick. from wiki:

In this alternate history, the corrupt United States president Ferris F. Fremont (FFF for 666, 'F' being the 6th letter in the alphabet) becomes Chief Executive in the late 1960s following Lyndon Johnson's administration. The character is best described as an amalgam of Joseph McCarthy and Richard Nixon, who abrogates civil liberties and human rights through positing a conspiracy theory centered on a (presumably) fictitious subversive organization known as "Aramchek". In addition to this, he is associated with a right-wing populist movement called "Friends of the American People" (FAPers).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: citizen k on September 10, 2016, 06:55:55 PM
Read "Radio Free Albemuth" by Philip K. Dick. from wiki:

In this alternate history, the corrupt United States president Ferris F. Fremont (FFF for 666, 'F' being the 6th letter in the alphabet) becomes Chief Executive in the late 1960s following Lyndon Johnson's administration. The character is best described as an amalgam of Joseph McCarthy and Richard Nixon, who abrogates civil liberties and human rights through positing a conspiracy theory centered on a (presumably) fictitious subversive organization known as "Aramchek". In addition to this, he is associated with a right-wing populist movement called "Friends of the American People" (FAPers).

FAPers, huh? :hmm: I thought fap was a neologism first used in an erotic web comic in the 00s. What was the connotation back then?

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on September 10, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
We're into the final two months of the US presidential race, elsewhere in the world Stupid seems to be on the march, so what film, tv and other media do you recommend to get one in the mood for this crazy future?

Tonight I'm kicking off the marathon with 'Soylent Green'.   :)

Aiming to finish this media binge in late January 2016, I'm giving both candidates a fortnight of grace and am assuming neither will kick off a new war within the first two weeks.   :hmm:

But who knows what mr Putin or Erdogan might do during the hiatus?   <_<

Do you have any good viewing, reading or listening recommendation for the dystopaithon?

Viewing
The Road
Book of Eli

Reading
One Second After
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2016, 11:02:04 PM
The Handmaid's Tale

Good call;  but I'm leaning more towards Gattaca.  Genetics, genetics, genetics.

Syt

Gattaca is such a beautiful (if haunting) movie. :wub:

Also ran:
Escape From New York
Robocop 1&2 (though it's more of a documentary of present day Detroit :P )
Logan's Run
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The Walking Dead
Mad Max: Fury Road
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Cherry 2000
No Escape (w/Ray Liotta)

mongers

Some good suggestion there.

'Soylent Green' stood up much better than I'd have thought, Heston's hero was a good turn and my Edward G.Robinson was a good actor.

Gups

Don't know if you are including post-apocalyptic but if so:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller is a classic
Station Eleven by Emma St John Mandel is very good.
Oyrx & Crake by Auntie Malthus is great, didn't enjoy the sequel so much though and haven't read the third one.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on September 12, 2016, 03:52:56 AM
Don't know if you are including post-apocalyptic but if so:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller is a classic
Station Eleven by Emma St John Mandel is very good.
Oyrx & Crake by Auntie Malthus is great, didn't enjoy the sequel so much though and haven't read the third one.

Gups, thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll tackle Auntie Malthus's tome first.

Next up for tonight's viewing, 'Seven Days In May'