News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wells Fargo scandal

Started by 11B4V, September 08, 2016, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

This pattern keeps recurring.

The OWS/Berniebros crowd likes to think of the big banks as evil masterminds, implementing their fiendish plots to rob ordinary folks and shovel untold profits to the top 1 percenters.  The reality is rather different.  Far from being capable, Bond-villianesque "vampire squids" - the banks are sprawling bureaucracies that struggle to get a firm sense about what the hell is really going on in their own organization.  Given the risk-return, its very believable Strumpf didn't know what was going on until it hit the fan, but in a way that is even more disturbing.  Because it gives a sense how the banks blundered into the last financial meltdown and why it will almost certainly happen again.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Question:  Can Vampire Squid ingest Haemoglobin or are they restricted to Haemocyanin?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

U.S.: Wells Fargo illegally repossessed 413 service members' cars

Wells Fargo will pay $24 million to settle allegations that it mistreated members of the military -- including illegally repossessing their cars.
The bank, already reeling from a scandal over fake accounts, will pay $4.1 million to settle Justice Department charges that it seized 413 cars owned by service members without a court order, a violation of federal law.
The Justice Department said the illegal repossessions took place from 2008 to 2015. The first complaint came from an Army National Guardsman in North Carolina who said the bank seized his car while he was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan.
Wells Fargo then auctioned his car and tried to collect a balance of $10,000 from his family, the Justice Department said.
The bank will pay $10,000 to each of the affected service members, plus lost equity in the cars with interest, and repair their credit.
Related: Wells Fargo worker retaliation claims rile up Congress
The bank was fined $20 million more by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency for breaking three provisions of the same law by denying members of the military certain banking protections, including capping their interest rates at 6%. Those violations began in 2006, the OCC said.
Wells Fargo said in a statement that it apologizes for not living up to its commitment of ensuring that all service members "receive the appropriate benefits and protections."
"We have been notifying and fully compensating customers and will complete this work in 60 days," the company said.
Related: Lawmakers say Wells Fargo is like a 'criminal enterprise'
News of the penalties came as Wells Fargo and CEO John Stumpf faced the wrath of the House Financial Services Committee at a hearing about the millions of fake bank and credit card accounts, plus claims that it retaliated against whistleblowers.
The company is also facing lawsuits from shareholders, former employees and customers.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/29/news/wells-fargo-servicemembers-cars/index.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteWells Fargo will pay $24 million to settle

a violation of federal law.

Stop settling.  Start prosecuting.  Fuck.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2016, 11:50:04 AM
QuoteWells Fargo will pay $24 million to settle

a violation of federal law.

Stop settling.  Start prosecuting.  Fuck.

No kidding, what will it take.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

HVC

Service members interest is capped at 6%? What's the average interest rate people in the states pay for loans?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on October 01, 2016, 11:55:17 AM
Service members interest is capped at 6%? What's the average interest rate people in the states pay for loans?

I believe that's all part of the Servicemembers' Cocks Sucked For Relief Act.  Because Service Guarantees Citizenship!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2016, 12:14:47 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 01, 2016, 11:55:17 AM

I believe that's all part of the Servicemembers' Cocks Sucked For Relief Act.  Because Service Guarantees Citizenship!

Fucking straight, Skippy.  :blurgh:

CountDeMoney

I'm sorry you were drafted, Mr. Inner City Vietnam Dude.

11B4V

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/30/investing/wells-fargo-workers-wage-theft-overtime/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

:lol:

Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay

Wells Fargo's notorious pressure-cooker culture led the bank to force some hourly employees to work late without overtime pay, former workers say.
The mandatory overtime took place during "call nights," where workers would call customers to sell them additional products like credit cards in an effort to meet the unrealistic sales goals.
"If we didn't hit our numbers, branch managers would make us stay after work for an hour, with no pay, to cold call customers and try to sell accounts," Graham Gourley, who worked as a Wells Fargo banker in Charlotte until 2012, told CNNMoney.