Main Menu

Wells Fargo scandal

Started by 11B4V, September 08, 2016, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Ouch

Seedy's head explodes.

5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Wrong incentives create wrong behaviour. Film at 11.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on September 08, 2016, 06:49:40 PM
Ouch

Seedy's head explodes.

5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/

The ones who should be fired are the executives who pressured their employees into making those accounts.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Was it legal to create the accounts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2016, 01:43:59 AM

Most likely not. Looks like fraud to me.

HVC

they moved people's money to the fake accounts too, not just created them.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2016, 02:02:14 AM

Creating an account for someone who didn't agree and then charging them for it seems like a fraud in my book, even if they were not moving the money.

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2016, 02:05:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2016, 02:02:14 AM

Creating an account for someone who didn't agree and then charging them for it seems like a fraud in my book, even if they were not moving the money.
true, but the act of moving the money would move it to wire fraud and laundering, wouldn't it? 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Yep, always been a pretty shitty company.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I just skimmed the article but it does not seem to me to address in any way the dysfunctional incentive system that leads to such behaviour.

People in banks are really pressured to reach even higher, unrealistic sales targets, with their jobs on the line (I guess it's really hard to call it an "incentive system" any more - it's more "gun-to-the-head" system, because the pay is structured in a way that means you cannot support yourself if you do not meet the targets - provided they don't fire you in the first place). Of course they can always go work elsewhere, but it is not always an option. This is a systemic issue and not just a case of some rogue employees, imo. It is not limited to one bank either.

The Brain

So what has come of the police investigations? Surely all cases were reported to the police.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2016, 02:17:42 AM
Yep, always been a pretty shitty company.

I would refinance my mortgage with another company, but it would just eventually get bundled and sold back to Wells Fargo anyway. :lol:

I am glad that they fired all those illegal immigrants, though.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2016, 03:43:55 AM
So what has come of the police investigations? Surely all cases were reported to the police.

I would imagine the Obama's attorney general's memo is still in force and no criminal charges are brought against bank employees for fear of disrupting the finance system.  :hug: