A flawed but well meaning individual
18 (42.9%)
A deeply troubled victim of her superstitions and prejudices
11 (26.2%)
An evil fraud
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Martinus

Apparently my Facebook feed cannot agree.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

She was a Catholic Saint. So I suspect however you feel about Catholicism will factor in there. In the context of her faith she did the best she could.

But damn it is hilarious to see people falling over themselves to prove she was a subhuman demon. The internet is a crazy place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2016, 03:02:56 PM
Is sainthood retroactive?

In make believe, you can do anything you want.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hamilcar

Religious sadist. Should have been sent to jail for a long time for mass torture and murder.

Barrister

She is an interesting and complex figure.  Somewhere between 2 & 3.  Definitely someone who should be viewed with sympathy rather than derision.  And the question of whether she is or should be a saint is a whole different question.

The major criticism I've often dead against Mother Theresa is that she did nothing to alleviate pain, suffering, or poverty in those she ministered to - her primary purpose was to convert people to Catholicism.  To an atheist this seems monstrous, but of course to a Christian it makes much more sense.

The most interesting, and perhaps tragic, facet of her life is how someone who dedicated her life to the Church in fact wrote diaries despairing of not feeling Christ in her heart.

Of course the notion that human beings here on earth can proclaim who is or is not a "Saint" seems fairly silly to my Protestant faith, but like I said that's a whole separate issue.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2016, 03:27:51 PM
The major criticism I've often dead against Mother Theresa is that she did nothing to alleviate pain, suffering, or poverty in those she ministered to - her primary purpose was to convert people to Catholicism.  To an atheist this seems monstrous, but of course to a Christian it makes much more sense.

And this is why her (and your?) brand of Christianity is ethically monstrous. While other totalitarian regimes like the Nazis or Soviets certainly used torture, they never saw moral good for the person tortured in it.

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 06, 2016, 03:22:37 PM
Religious sadist. Should have been sent to jail for a long time for mass torture and murder.

Wow. Alrighty then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2016, 03:36:49 PM
I love Languish.  :D

Why search all over the internet for bigots when Hami is right here?  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2016, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2016, 03:36:49 PM
I love Languish.  :D

Why search all over the internet for bigots when Hami is right here?  :lol:

FWIW, Hami's views on her match the closest the leftists on my Facebook.

Hamilcar

CountDeMoney

In the name of Holy Mother Church, Go forth, this Thread is ended.  Go in peace.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

In the name of Orville Redenbacher and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (PBUI), this thread is resurrected.

CountDeMoney

Oh, good grief. Somebody runs across the wet cement, and Captain Concrete swings into action to reinforce the rebar up Hami's ass.