News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Goof" word origin

Started by Martinus, September 05, 2016, 02:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

"Pedophile" wouldn't be a foot fetishist, as "pedo" is not "foot" in Greek.

Unless you go to a pediatrician if you hurt your foot...

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2016, 05:17:34 AM
"Pedophile" wouldn't be a foot fetishist, as "pedo" is not "foot" in Greek.

Unless you go to a pediatrician if you hurt your foot...

Quick search shows medieval latin had -philus modeled after the greek, so you theoretically could do with pedophile as a later latin derivation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2016, 04:57:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
I became aware of this use of goof back when Mrs b was working in a prison.  It really is a thing - you call someone a goof you're just begging for a fight.

I brought it up on Languish years ago and it seemed like it was only a term in Canadian jails.

Oh Canada.
In America it's "you god damn mother f'ing n@$#a ass homo bitch"
In Canada it's "silly goose. You're such a goof"

Couple thoughts:

1. It really is only prison slang.  You call your average canuck a goof and they'll think nothing of it.  It's only those who have spent time inside (or hang around those who have) who'll shank you if you call them a goof.

2. That being said, Canadian prisoners are no less prone to profanity than those anywhere else.  It would more be "You motherfucking shit-eating goof".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2016, 09:41:16 AM
2. That being said, Canadian prisoners are no less prone to profanity than those anywhere else.  It would more be "You motherfucking shit-eating goof".

I got into a bit of a verbal altercation with a chap who'd just come out of lock-up a few years back, and the language was pretty colourful. And yeah "goof" is usually "fucking goof" - at least every time I've heard it. "Bitch" and "rat" are well used too, it seems.

One thing I noted was the usage of "down South" as slang for going to prison.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2016, 11:30:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2016, 09:41:16 AM

I got into a bit of a verbal altercation with a chap who'd just come out of lock-up a few years back, and the language was pretty colourful. And yeah "goof" is usually "fucking goof" - at least every time I've heard it. "Bitch" and "rat" are well used too, it seems.

One thing I noted was the usage of "down South" as slang for going to prison.

In the Yukon, "going south" in a prison context meant getting a Federal sentence.  There are no Federal Penitentiaries in the north, so getting penn time meant you were shipped south.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2016, 11:39:46 AM
In the Yukon, "going south" in a prison context meant getting a Federal sentence.  There are no Federal Penitentiaries in the north, so getting penn time meant you were shipped south.

That was probably the usage I came across too. The conversation wasn't such that I'd get much out of inquiring about nuance, but it fits the context.

CountDeMoney

Meh, Marti's just fishing for a hip new edgy internet insult, that's all.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2016, 12:17:03 PM
Meh, Marti's just fishing for a hip new edgy internet insult, that's all.

I don't think Canadian scrub slang is going to hit the metrics - it's neither hip nor edgy

CountDeMoney

Remember, the guy's not working with many vowels.

dps

"Bitch" and "rat" are well used too, it seems.

Do those two mean the same in Canadian prison slang as in US prison slang?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2016, 12:40:37 PM
"Bitch" and "rat" are well used too, it seems.

Do those two mean the same in Canadian prison slang as in US prison slang?

Ahyup.

Jacob

CountDeMoney

Archy

Martinus

For the record, I started this thread because I came upon the word "guph" and thought there might be a connection. I am not going around wondering about the word "goof". :P