News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The World's Oldest Melody

Started by Jacob, August 31, 2016, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

QuoteThe Hurrian Hymn was discovered in the 1950s on a clay tablet inscribed with Cuneiform text. It's the oldest surviving melody and is over 3400 years old.

The hymn was discovered on a clay tablet in Ugarit, now part of modern-day Syria, and is dedicated the Hurrians' goddess of the orchards Nikkal.

The clay tablet text, which was discovered alongside around 30 other tablet fragments, specifies 9 lyre strings and the intervals between those strings – kind of like an ancient guitar tab.

But this is the only hymn that could be reconstructed – although the name of the composer is now lost.

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/videos/oldest-song-melody/

garbon

Interesting. :)

What's that last sentence mean? Is that two unrelated thoughts put together?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2016, 12:26:53 PM

i took it to mean that all the tablets were written by the same person, but if he did sign them that part of the inscription was lost.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 31, 2016, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2016, 12:26:53 PM

i took it to mean that all the tablets were written by the same person, but if he did sign them that part of the inscription was lost.

Ah got it. Makes sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

derspiess

Your attempts to troll-shame me suck.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

I've been to Ugarit.  Much less hot than Palmyra.
PDH!

The Brain

I hear pieces of Kraftwerk's Spacelab in this hymn.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I am glad we have gotten closer to finally determining which culture we appropriated music from.

But seriously that is fantastic. Ancient music is such a missing piece.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."