News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Icelanders, to me!

Started by Liep, February 01, 2016, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Funchal's supposed to have one of the scariest landing descents of any world airport, if you're into that sort of thing. :)

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Liep

Legbiter! And other Icelanders!

I'll visit your fair island tomorrow for 9 days, anyone up for some beers?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 30, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
Funchal's supposed to have one of the scariest landing descents of any world airport, if you're into that sort of thing. :)

The scariest is the "airstrip" on the island of Saba. I've landed there, and I can testify to the fact that it is absurdly short, with a drop-off over a sheer cliff into the sea at both ends, and right beside a mountain (the reason: the whole island is a mountain).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juancho_E._Yrausquin_Airport

Every landing there is an adventure.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVM0w9YquQ
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 02:36:48 PM
I have never in my life thought of the Danes as being tough alpha males.  I had them pegged as one of the mildest stereotypes around.

Vikings?

There are parts of rural Jutland where you can't really go if you're a mild stereotypical Zealander without getting beat up by alpha male Jutes.

There are very few alpha males left in Europe. A few old dudes who fought the Russians in Finland, certainly none have been in Southern Europe since the Roman Empire days.

Liep

The weather is okay, some sun with only a little rain. Reykjavik gets the title as ugliest capital in Europe though and must surely rival for the most expensive. Ouch.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

I'll drop you a PM soon Liep, let's meet up sometime in the next few days.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

Iceland's been great, the weather has behaved and the nature is absolutely stunning. Also I met Legbiter today for a walkabout and lunch. A really nice guy even if he preferred to speak English and not Danish. :P

mongers

Quote from: Liep on September 01, 2016, 01:42:03 PM
Iceland's been great, the weather has behaved and the nature is absolutely stunning. Also I met Legbiter today for a walkabout and lunch. A really nice guy even if he preferred to speak English and not Danish. :P

:cool:

All round cool then.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

It was a pleasure to meet you Liep.  :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.